External access to HAI OP2

sjht

I have had external access to my system for many years.   About a week ago, the access stopped working.  Access works within our home (on the local IP address), but when assessed externally, the various application will not connect.  I have a dyndns account with hosts that allows my IP to change, but still allow external assess.  I did have a secondary router in front of the OP2, but removed to see if that was causing an issue (allowing direct access to the HAI OP2.  However, this didn't help.  I have the specific ports open in my router and really haven't made any changes.  Just wondered whether anyone could point me in the best direction to track down what the issue could be.  Could my internet provider possibly changed something?  I can go to the placed like http://canyouseeme.org and see that it indicated the port is open.  However, the apps (HAI, Space, Haiku, etc.) no longer connect.  Thanks for any help.  SJ

Well, it started now working.  I did change the IP address and Port for the heck of it.   Also, when I disconnected my wireless (and only via cellular), they also worked.  I normally would have my dyndns host name and was able to access internally at home on our LAN as well as externally.  For some reason, that no longer works.  Hmmm...

If your port says open, I would double check that the DDNS is connected, and make sure to check the port with the DDNS and not your WAN IP. If everything seems fine, continue. Make sure your apps are using the DDNS. You can even try to change the DDNS to your WAN IP on the app to see if it connects then. If it does, you know it's a DDNS issue. If it doesn't, seems like you may have a port forwarding or router issue.

The issue is that when I use the dyndns host, it works fine truly externally, but not when Im local on my LAN. It used to work. Thanks. SJ

Figured it out, but strange. I have two WiFi networks in our home. One from our main router and another that is a mesh network. When I’m connected to the main router WiFi all works. When I’m connected to the mesh, it doesn’t work, The second network is just a bridged access point from our main network. Strange..... SJ

SJHart said:
The issue is that when I use the dyndns host, it works fine truly externally, but not when Im local on my LAN. It used to work. Thanks. SJ

There are some routers/modems that don't allow external connections while on the LAN. Meaning on the app, make something called "In house" using the LAN IP of the Omni Pro II, and another called "Outside House," with the DDNS! :)

Back