Home security or lack of it?

Just my opinion, but I've never been impressed by Ring.  The requirement on the cloud for everything, to hardware limitations to a closed API.  When it comes down to it, if you want true privacy you need to look at companies in the EU.  They at least have laws in favor of the consumer.  Still not perfect but better than what we have.

I prefer DoorBird.  Is there a cloud requirement to use it on your mobile phone?  Yes, but anything that has a NAT in the path will.  Your mobile phone sits behind a NAT, so there is no way for device A and device B to communicate without using a cloud server.  Since DoorBird is inside the EU; they need to comply with GDPR.

LarrylLix said:
"Want to buy some naked pictures of your teenage daughter?"

Gotta love that cloud based stuff.
The simple solution is not to put cameras in your house. I think that is weird anyway.  If someone wants to buy a picture of my mailman walking by, let them.

I know a few people that do, but when they are home the HA system rotates or turns those cameras off.  So they are only active when no one is home.  They are more or less used a motion detectors while also having a camera feed if required.

lanbrown said:
I know a few people that do, but when they are home the HA system rotates or turns those cameras off.  So they are only active when no one is home.  They are more or less used a motion detectors while also having a camera feed if required.
That is the best way I have heard of. My son has installed cams around the house after a break-in and it become very uncomfortable knowing they can review every sniffle you have made and recorded your conversations. A new place to avoid.

Doorbird is great - I installed one for a high-end client, and was pleasantly surprised.  I later bought a Ring for my house (lack of any existing wiring left me with few choices) and wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be given how mainstream it is.  The client with the Doorbird has his feed recorded on his NVR right along side his other 12 cameras.

As for cameras inside - only way in hell that'll ever happen is if they're either 1) not recorded and firewalled off (internal use only for watching kids) or 2) turn off entirely when home - like by powering off the entire POE switch.  Way too many stories about leaked content... and I absolutely hate having anything of mine "in the cloud".

Definitely you wouldn't want them cloud based.

The best setup I've seen was PTZ and when they were home, they would rotate so they would face the wall.  When they left, they would then turn back around.

Work2Play said:
As for cameras inside - only way in hell that'll ever happen is if they're either 1) not recorded and firewalled off (internal use only for watching kids) or 2) turn off entirely when home - like by powering off the entire POE switch.  Way too many stories about leaked content... and I absolutely hate having anything of mine "in the cloud".
Although people like Kim Kardashian wouldn't have her multi-million dollar empire today had it not been for leaked videos, so each to each his own. :unsure:

Back