Windows 10 storage sense

Wow. 

I've hated Apple due to things they did back in the early 80s (along with other things later) so much that I'll never buy any of their products.

Was generally a proponent of MS stuff despite recognizing some of their mistakes as well. 
However, I think my MS enthusiasm peaked around 2004, based on a combination of WinXP and Office 2003. 

Ever since then it has been a massive nosedive.  The changes to Office after 2003 with their ridiculous toolbar,
moving and/or removing features around, etc. have destroyed that product. The OS changes since XP have been
a disaster.  I realize security needed to be addressed and understand the need to support a new UI for tablets, etc. was
necessary, but I'm just not happy with any of the new OS's. Win10 is kinda' ok, but I don't really like it.

With that, I've been moving more and more to Linux, libreOffice, etc. 

I avoid any of the cloud technologies as much as possible.  I'm okay with remote storage for things I want shared and possibly
for things I choose to replicate offsite, but I don't like anything that either does things behind the scenes or relies on the cloud
to operate.

mikefamig said:
I saw something this morning that I think is worth sharing

I just learned that Windows 10 now erases files in the download folder among others without any action on your part. Files are mirrored on a cloud server and erased if you haven't accessed them for a specified period of time.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-october-2018-update-how-to-use-the-new-storage-sense-features/

Mike. 
It only does this if you use OneDrive AND you configure it to do this!  Don't turn the feature on and nothing changes!

Ever since then it has been a massive nosedive.  The changes to Office after 2003 with their ridiculous toolbar, moving and/or removing features around, etc. have destroyed that product.

I did not like that ribbon thing.

I still utilize Office 2003 on my Ubuntu laptop using PlayOnLinux.  Works great.

I am still tinkering with the Ubuntu Office applications.  Mostly document and spreadsheet pieces.

gregking said:
Wow. 

I've hated Apple due to things they did back in the early 80s (along with other things later) so much that I'll never buy any of their products.

Was generally a proponent of MS stuff despite recognizing some of their mistakes as well. 
However, I think my MS enthusiasm peaked around 2004, based on a combination of WinXP and Office 2003. 

Ever since then it has been a massive nosedive.  The changes to Office after 2003 with their ridiculous toolbar,
moving and/or removing features around, etc. have destroyed that product. The OS changes since XP have been
a disaster.  I realize security needed to be addressed and understand the need to support a new UI for tablets, etc. was
necessary, but I'm just not happy with any of the new OS's. Win10 is kinda' ok, but I don't really like it.

With that, I've been moving more and more to Linux, libreOffice, etc. 

I avoid any of the cloud technologies as much as possible.  I'm okay with remote storage for things I want shared and possibly
for things I choose to replicate offsite, but I don't like anything that either does things behind the scenes or relies on the cloud
to operate.
I have started using Libre Office instead of MS Office 2007 lately on a Win7 machine and find it not just acceptable but actually superior. I plan to transition over completely during the course of the year. I am also keen to try Mint19 Cinnamon as an alternative to Windows but I don't have any spare hardware at the moment that can support it. Maybe a USB copy will be good enough for me to test it on my desk PC without committing to anything.

Here have switched over the laptops and desktop to running Ubuntu 18.10 and dual booting to WIndows 10 (which I rarely utilize these days).  I used the same MS account for all of the Windows 10 stuff and noticed that my Microsoft Drive is pretty full now. 

Thank you guys for the info on MS One Drive...really never paid much attention to it.

You can today install a WIndows theme on your Ubuntu desktop if you want.  Looks just like Windows.

@upstatemike

You can also create a persistant live Ubuntu USB stick which saves your stuff. 

These days do not really save much on the laptops or desktop and mostly utilize the NAS for storage of important stuff.

Back