• Experience:guru
  • Software:EventGhost, Girder, Mister House, NetRemote
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, Z-Wave, ZigBee, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, Grandstream, Linksys PAP2, OBi100/110, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

I don't know enough about how the ceiling fans and controllers operate, but my suggestion would be to remove the chain to prevent anyone from accidentally changing it manually in the future.  Perhaps going a step further and taping off the chain to leave a clear indicator that it's not to be used.  You never know what guests or others might decide to try if they don't understand how the circuit it set up.

#17 batwater

batwater

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Software:CQC, EventGhost, Harmony, Custom
  • Hardware:DSC, Custom
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:Sonos
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, OBi100/110

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

I went the bond route. Been happy with that solution.and contril via Alexa.

Ditto but control with Google.  Works with virtually any fan that has a wireless remote.

#18 hgupta1

hgupta1

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

I have a hodge podge of different solutions right now. 

I also went the Bond route for the one fan that already had a remote.  I have it tied in with IFTTT   so that when the Ecobee kicks on the heat, the fan starts circulating the air, pushing the warm air down.

For the other fans that don't have a remote, I bought these remotes  for zigbee control, but I have not gotten around to installing them yet.   

For my fans that have a dedicated switch for light and for fan, I will probably use Lutron's new fan controllers.

#19 dgage

dgage

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:CQC
  • Tech:RadioRA2
  • Audio:Sonos
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • Phone:Linksys PAP2

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:39 PM

Realize the 2A in RRD-2ANF stands for 2 amps so definitely make sure you don't overload the fan control.

EDIT: Just read the link WKearney posted and realized the first post in the thread mentioned the power limits.  However, I'll keep this here for those that don't follow the link provided.

https://forums.lutro...ns-amp-RRD-2ANF

Edited by dgage, 12 March 2019 - 09:41 PM.

#20 sionxct

sionxct

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

Just replaced a ceiling fan a few months ago. Had no problem finding a traditional AC fan. Maybe some of the high end retailers don't want to show to them to you for a new buid / remodel, because UpSell. But the install base of AC fans is too high for them to not be readiliy available. The only humming I've ever heard from a AC fan is when you use a dimmer to control the speed. If you use a proper speed controller its fine. A proper speed control uses capacitors. The capacitors are normally a generic sealled box mounted in the fan hub. You can get aftermaket versons that are wireless... you replace the the speed controller in the hub with the new unit, and it has a wireless controller for the wall or handheld remote. These come in various styles. I've also seen speed controllers that are controlled by cycling a traditional wall switch to change its mode (light only, low speed, high speed, fan only, etc). Typically the fan circuit uses a 14/3, so one wire for the light and another for the fan so they can be controlled individually. Its not unusual to see a signal circuit, especially if the the fan was a replacement to a stand-alone light. But, even in that case, and aftermarket controller would work. I think insteon sell such as device.

This guy has a design for a remote mounted fan controller, if your wiring is capable. This would let you control the fan speed using hardwire:

http://jeditekunum.c...eiling-Fans-V2/

Edited by sionxct, 14 March 2019 - 11:08 AM.

#21 ano

ano

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3447 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB, ZigBee
  • Audio:HAI
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

You CAN still find non-remote fans. And I HAVE taken a remote controlled fan and deactivated it so it stays on high. They aren't complex, you can trace out the relays and force it to stay on high. Then you use a controller like the Simply Automated 3 speed fan controller to control it. https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B00K1HBF6A

I do this for a bedroom fan that has its speeds changed all night. I basically turn the fan higher when the heat turns on (so wife isn't too hot) and I adjust in summer based on room temp. so it fells constant. It works well.

#22 LarrylLix

LarrylLix

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • Hardware:ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON, 1-Wire
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

You CAN still find non-remote fans. And I HAVE taken a remote controlled fan and deactivated it so it stays on high. They aren't complex, you can trace out the relays and force it to stay on high. Then you use a controller like the Simply Automated 3 speed fan controller to control it. https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B00K1HBF6A

I do this for a bedroom fan that has its speeds changed all night. I basically turn the fan higher when the heat turns on (so wife isn't too hot) and I adjust in summer based on room temp. so it fells constant. It works well.

What if my wife is never too hot anymore? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users