Ruckus R500

pete_c

Guru
Trying a new AP here.  (currently using Ubiquiti).  I have no real dependences on wireless here for much.

I do not work for Ruckus and just a mention here of something I am trying.

I did read recommendations about Ruckus on the PFSense forum.

Note that historically used Cisco APs in the late 1990s/early 2000's, modded OS APs (Linksys, Buffalo, micro routers with OpenWRT) and Ubiquiti.

The Ubiquiti is/was the first WAP that I have not JTAG'd and modified in any way as the OS is very nice.

I do have separate LAN interfaces on my PFSenses firewall here that go to separate networks (along with VLANs).

Currently testing WiFi wireless on autonomous APs (3) dedicated to WiFi MQTT automation. 

Read good stuff about the Ruckus R500. 

hxxps://support.ruckuswireless.com/products/68-ruckus-r500

The ZoneFlex R500 is the industry’s best-performing 2x2 802.11ac indoor WLAN access point, combining Ruckus-patented RF technologies with the new IEEE 802.11ac standard to provide outstanding WiFi performance.

The R500 features dual radios, capable of concurrent operation.  It features a 5 GHz 802.11a/n/ac radio in a 2x2:2 spatial stream configuration, capable of physical layer rates of up to 867 Mbps. A 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n radio in a 2x2:2 spatial stream configuration offers an additional 300 Mbps of physical layer throughput. Ruckus’ ZoneFlex R500 is an ideal access point for medium client density enterprise and hotspot environments including SMBs, schools, hotels, branch offices and retail outlets.

ruckus.jpg

Will be configuring it tomorrow and will post screen shots.

Ubiquiti's initial WAP stuff OS sucked (years ago) and I did replace it at the time with OpenWRT.

It got better with their WAP Hardware updates.

I have been using Pepwave APs because they are managed directly within my PepLink router. I looked at Ubiquity but at the time they were still using non-standard POE and didn't seem to be as clean a solution.

I currently have about 70 wireless devices so ease of troubleshooting is my main criteria for APs. The Pepwaves pull the device names from my router's DHCP reservation table so when I am looking at a list of clients connected to an AP I see actual device names rather than just a list of MAC addresses.

I am running with 5 APs to cover all the shadows and dead spots created by 5 chimneys and lots of stone walls so I am always on the lookout for a way to improve things. Pepwave is handy since I can just log into the router and control everything but if Ruckus or Ubiquity provided something to make my life easier I would consider migrating to a new system.

I still a la carte my network with PFSense (multiple LAN/WAN) connections, managed switches, managed APs sort of the old fashioned way.

Never did like that Ubiquiti used propietary POE with their stuff (tested their IP cameras too) after POE standards had already been established.

I use first generation Cisco POE stuff way back and first at home wireless did utilize Cisco WAPs.

I have a small DHCP scope and still utilize static IP addressing for just about all wired devices.  (switches, servers, appliances et al).

Wireless devices like Alexa, mobile phones, tablets, WiFi experiments are using DHCP reservation today.

Well too tablets and smartphones are off when in the house. Not much of a tablet user here any how.

As mentioned too testing WiFi automation and using separate custom OS WAPs for these devices talking MQTT.

upstatemike said:
I have been using Pepwave APs because they are managed directly within my PepLink router. I looked at Ubiquity but at the time they were still using non-standard POE and didn't seem to be as clean a solution.

I currently have about 70 wireless devices so ease of troubleshooting is my main criteria for APs. The Pepwaves pull the device names from my router's DHCP reservation table so when I am looking at a list of clients connected to an AP I see actual device names rather than just a list of MAC addresses.

I am running with 5 APs to cover all the shadows and dead spots created by 5 chimneys and lots of stone walls so I am always on the lookout for a way to improve things. Pepwave is handy since I can just log into the router and control everything but if Ruckus or Ubiquity provided something to make my life easier I would consider migrating to a new system.

I had to re-read that, because the first time I thought you said you had 70 access points.  I'm like, damn, do you glow in the dark now too?

How's the pepwave interface?  I'm debating what to use on a boat, that and cradlepoint are options.

Sorry I don't have enough experience with other products to know if the interface is good, bad, or average. Before Pepwave I used Engenius APs and they were similar I guess. At one point I also tried Luxul but they did not provide enough information and configuration options to suit me.

upstatemike said:
...l but they did not provide enough information and configuration options to suit me.

Isn't this always the case?  There's almost enough to allow for robust config options and then you run aground on something arbitrarily crippled.

Just looked at Ubiquity again and still confused on how to put one of their systems together. Need a 24 port switch that can comfortably handle 18 POE devices, a router (security gateway?) that can handle 2 WANs and 200+ DHCP reservations, a cloud key, and 6 APs. Still get hung up on POE capacity and af vs. passive 24V. Some devices are unify while others are stand-alone web UI and so on.

At least they got rid of the "zero handoff" feature that forced you to put all your APs on the same channel! As I recall that was one of the main reasons I went with Engenius last time I was comparison shopping for APs.

So the Ruckus AP works well.  Got a deal here on new old stock. 

Noticed too that Ruckus is now owned by Arris.  

Mounting it horizontally via POE in a centered of the house closet high near the ceiling such that I do not see it.

rruckus.jpg  

Relating to the "boat" Internet access sister/brother in law here using free wireless where their boats are docked in the midwest and the FL Keys.   

Unrelated also updated my "old" Motorola SB6120 (8X4) modem to a new Arris SB6190 Gb (32X8) modem. 

Same exact size as the SB6120 and fits well inside of the Leviton media panel.

Did finally enable IP6 on the PFSense firewall and it works great.

Boat wifi is a whole other clusterf*k.  The hassle is while you may well find a solid connection, if it's a busy marina you're at the mercy of how many others are also using the connection.  Free wifi is often more trouble than it's worth.  This is sometimes hard to determine and even worse to work around on most overly-simplified router setups.

But that's fodder for an entirely different message thread, so let's not hijack this one.

Yeah here in the midwest see many small footprint digital satellite dishes on the boat docks.

For the Cradlepoint device you could install a small directional Yagi antenna.

Doesn't the cradlepoint also provide a firewall, switch and a telco port? (stock features).

I use one at home for the combo failover phone and internet access modem.  Yesterday while upgrading primary modem PFSense failed over to it much of the day. Noticed that the Ooma box worked fine with the cellular internet access.

There are system management tools offered up by Ruckus similiar to Ubiquiti except much more expensive.

tools.jpg

Mounted the WAP inside of a closet today.  The PITA part was running the network POE cable and terminating it.

Ruckus.jpg

Still have 100Mbs POE switches here so I purchased a Gb POE injector for this device. Looking now to add a Gb POE managed switch as my tabletop screens are all Gb POE connected (except to 100Mbs POE switches).

Testing 2nd floor connectivity from HP Laptop Ubuntu 18.04 see this.

UbuntuWireless.jpg

Back