Shelly RGBW2 LED Controller

TonyNo

Looks very cool. MQTT support along with REST built-in. No reprogramming or cloud needed!

rgbw2_product.png

https://shelly.cloud/wifi-smart-shelly-rgbw-2/

Have they released the API so that people can actually use them with HA systems not depending on cloud servers?
On a quick look I didn't see any sign of it.

TonyNo said:
Absolutely. I've been playing with them all day. Without authentication set up, setting a color is as simple as...

http://deviceIP/color/0?red=255&green=127&blue=0&white=0

...via REST.
Good news! Cloud control of lights is necessary ridiculous concept.

Do they offer any feedback or status reporting (other than the usual http 200 confirmation )?

Are you able to mix white and RGB to make pastels?

How fast can multiple strings be activated on/off? I have 16 devices in one room (some bulbs, some strings) and the popcorn effect can be the worst looking. I have it down to less than 0.5 seconds to turn all on/off but the initial socket connect time gets int multiple seconds then. :(

I have read about Shelly.  Thinking they are the first to offer this methodology over the counter for sale.

Yeah here starting to use modified Espurna / ESPXXX firmware adding more controls / features via the GPIO stuff.  IE: combo RGB controller with the adds of a combo temperature and humidity sensor or the add of a remote control to it.  Here also added a manual on off and digital dimming knob (for WAF) such that you can control the RGB controller manually, via built in GUI and via the local lan.

The does make it a custom one off build.  I just replicated it here and used the same rules for controlling multiple RGB devices.  Response times are really fast considering it is via WiFi and using MQTT.

Only thing is that it involves soldering tiny wires and JTAGing the device which really is not user friendly.

For use with MQTT all you have to do is sniff the MQTT commands from the device to see what commands you need to use to control or read status of the device.

Espurna provides you with a simple command list in the built in OS web GUI for Home Assistant (or any controller using MQTT).

light:
  - name: ESPURNA_KitchenLED2
    platform: mqtt
    state_topic: Kitchen-LED2/relay/0
    command_topic: Kitchen-LED2/relay/0/set
    payload_on: 1
    payload_off: 0
    availability_topic: Kitchen-LED2/status
    payload_available: 1
    payload_not_available: 0
    brightness_state_topic: Kitchen-LED2/brightness
    brightness_command_topic: Kitchen-LED2/brightness/set
    rgb_state_topic: Kitchen-LED2/rgb
    rgb_command_topic: Kitchen-LED2/rgb/set
    color_temp_command_topic: Kitchen-LED2/mired/set
    white_value_state_topic: Kitchen-LED2/channel/3
    white_value_command_topic: Kitchen-LED2/channel/3/set

sensor:
  - name: ESPURNA_KitchenLED2_temperature
    state_topic: Kitchen-LED2/temperature
    unit_of_measurement: °F

sensor:
  - name: ESPURNA_KitchenLED2_humidity
    state_topic: Kitchen-LED2/humidity
    unit_of_measurement: '%'

LarrylLix said:
Good news! Cloud control of lights is necessary ridiculous concept.

Do they offer any feedback or status reporting (other than the usual http 200 confirmation )?

Are you able to mix white and RGB to make pastels?

How fast can multiple strings be activated on/off? I have 16 devices in one room (some bulbs, some strings) and the popcorn effect can be the worst looking. I have it down to less than 0.5 seconds to turn all on/off but the initial socket connect time gets int multiple seconds then. :(

Re: Feedback, the response is the 200 and a status string. Example:

{"ison":true,"mode":"color","red":127,"green":0,"blue":0,"white":0,"gain":2,"effect":0,"power":0.00,"overpower":false}

No restrictions on white and color outputs being on at the same time. Obviously, consider the power dissipation of the device you are driving. ;)

I only have two modules to play with, but it seems fairly quick. I can imagine a ripple-effect for 16, though, as it's not instant. Note that if you send commands too quickly, the lights don't change, but the status comes back indicating no change.

TonyNo said:
Re: Feedback, the response is the 200 and a status string. Example:

{"ison":true,"mode":"color","red":127,"green":0,"blue":0,"white":0,"gain":2,"effect":0,"power":0.00,"overpower":false}

No restrictions on white and color outputs being on at the same time. Obviously, consider the power dissipation of the device you are driving. ;)

I only have two modules to play with, but it seems fairly quick. I can imagine a ripple-effect for 16, though, as it's not instant. Note that if you send commands too quickly, the lights don't change, but the status comes back indicating no change.
I did a lot of experimenting with MiLight, LEDenet controllers and now, some China cloned MagicHome bulbs for under $10 each..
One thing I found was that the little CPUs inside the controllers were busy doing a slight ramp and couldn't see the Ethernet commands coming at them.  Once  I discovered a "Music" mode where they could respond very quickly I found it wasn't as much of a problem, thus the conclusion. The trouble with that was the popcorn effect became more noticeable without the slight ramping effect helping the them appear more synchronised.

In the end it is all about how it looks to the eye and sequencing them in the right order helps. Turn on the main lighting bulbs where your eye looks into the room, first. Then the ones behind you are not noticed as you walk into the room. Sometimes every second bulb works and then go back and hot the odd ones in between.

Have fun!

Back