1 reply to this topic

#1 snmhanson

snmhanson

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:11 PM

I am going to be shopping for an automation controller/security system in the near future.  In our old house we had an OPII and I thought it was great.  However, with the changes going on with the Omni systems at Leviton and speculation that they are going to discontinue the line soon, I am thinking it would be a good idea to look at alternatives.  What would you guys recommend?  Elk seems like the closest replacement to an Omni system, but maybe separating security from automation would make sense.  I just started looking into Homeseer and it seems like a pretty robust system - though I would need a separate security system.  Any advice on those or other systems I should look at?  I just want something with a proven track record and plenty of integration with third party devices such as RA2, Sonos, thermostats, etc...

Thanks,

Matt

#2 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9137 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

Here have been using Homeseer since 1998.  Omni Pro 2's since early 2000's. 

I am assuming that the OP2 will outlast me these days. 

The Omni Pro talks X10, UPB, Zigbee and ZWave.  Homeseer 3 talks to the same and WiFi MQTT.

If the OP2 fails and I am of sound mind and body then will update it with a hot spare. 

If the hot spare goes then would probably get an Elk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users