Anyone notice that Firefox appears to have slowed down?

pete_c

Guru
Here run Firefox in Ubuntu 18.04.  

Firewall is PFSense and using DNS Resolver and Maxmind PFBlocker here.

Firefox has always been really fast.  Noticed recently that it takes seconds for first web site to come up from the links.

I have switched the search engine from Google to duckduckgo to speed it up some and removed home page.

Anyone seeing the same with current version of Firefox?

Thank you BaduFamily.

Did the reset of Firefox and disabled all that I am not using.  Noticed the rest removed my adblock plus and ghostery.  Now it faster.  Wierd.

Adding adblock plus and ghostery to see if it is slow again.

Worked after adding my two addons mentioned above.

Fast again on cold start of Firefox.

@pete_c
I use duckduckgo also, trying to avoid some of the google ownership of my onlife.

However, have a look at the DNS server used/set in your router. Usually this is automatically assigned by your ISP and is set to 8.8.8.8. ...yup, you guessed it...google DNS. They still know everything about you, even your curiosities. :(

Even trying a few others 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9? (forget) I found the adverts (basically all presented by google mastermind ownership) still contain the latest searches I have done. While duckduckgo may make a lot of claims about not tracking you, they appear to be selling your information to third parties and THEY are tracking you.

Understood LarryLix.

Yeah using PFSense Unbound DNS Resolver here.  It's seems to have become an issue when I started to utilize IP6.

There is an article some place on internetlandia where the writer of said article tried to not use any google, amazon, et al services on the internet and said it was impossible to do these days.

It's mostly the issue of the delay when bringing up the browser which I never noticed before.  It is better now that I reset one of the computers Firefox settings.

Sometimes here do utilize TOR when browsing which I assume works relating to tracking.

I use Firefox w/Ghostery, no AdBlock.   Also use PFSense.but with Bind, no PFBlocker.    FWIW my firefox seems fine.   I couldn't rely on  DuckDuckGo, so I switched to Startpage instead.

For Larry, with PFSense by default you don't  need to forward your DNS to an outside server(s).   It is a recursive DNS resolver, using root hints to do DNS directly.

wuench said:
I use Firefox w/Ghostery, no AdBlock.   Also use PFSense.but with Bind, no PFBlocker.    FWIW my firefox seems fine.   I couldn't rely on  DuckDuckGo, so I switched to Startpage instead.

For Larry, with PFSense by default you don't  need to forward your DNS to an outside server(s).   It is a recursive DNS resolver, using root hints to do DNS directly.
Thanks but that makes no sense to me.
Google, as do all DNS servers,  has a huge DNS database. You would need a few TeraBytes, or more, of storage to convert every domain name to an IP address locally. Somebody knows what you are searching for.

One laptop with Firefox reset / readded all plugins is doing well right now. 

I am using Ubuntu Firefox Gnome extensions on both and a "few" plugins. 

Curious Wuench the difference in using Bind versus Maxmind PFBlocker on PFSense and why you have removed adblocker on Firefox?

Personally have never heard of Bind and noticed now that it is an optional plugin for PFSense.

@LarryLix...here is the wiki for DNS Resolver...

The client-side of the DNS is called a DNS resolver. It is responsible for initiating and sequencing the queries that ultimately lead to a full resolution (translation) of the resource sought, e.g., translation of a domain name into an IP address.

A DNS query may be either a non-recursive query or a recursive query:
  • A non-recursive query is one in which the DNS server provides a record for a domain for which it is authoritative itself, or it provides a partial result without querying other servers.
  • A recursive query is one for which the DNS server will fully answer the query (or give an error) by querying other name servers as needed. DNS servers are not required to support recursive queries.
The resolver, or another DNS server acting recursively on behalf of the resolver, negotiates use of recursive service using bits in the query headers.

Resolving usually entails iterating through several name servers to find the needed information. However, some resolvers function more simply by communicating only with a single name server. These simple resolvers (called "stub resolvers") rely on a recursive name server to perform the work of finding information for them.

Bind is a replacement for the built in Unbound DNS Resolver.   It is not a replacement for  PFBlocker.  I don't use any blocker at this time. Bind allows me to do CNAMEs and I am more familiar with it. But i have an issue with it that anytime I lose LAN connectivity it stops resolving and I have to restart the service.

As far as resolvers. Each domain owner  maintains their own DNS server(s).    All servers along the way cache, based on the DNS TTL.  One problem with the likes of google (or any intermediary DNS) is they can see what  you are doing,  tied to your IP address.  Which is their whole reason for being.     With your own resolver you are going to the sources for the info.    Security is also an issue as any intermediary can filter or even change info.   Centurylink, for example, will intercept errors and send you to their own site.   Which can make troubleshooting difficult.    TTL also has to timeout on all intermediaries, so if someone changes and IP, you will get the update faster if  you go directly to the source.

If you are going to use a public DNS, I would recommend Cloudfare's.   Since most of the internet is load balanced by either them or Akamai and load balancing requires DNS, it would best to use them from a performance perspective.  That way they can hand you the closest resource to you.   If you use Google or another DNS outside of your ISP, something like Cloudfare has no idea what your geographic location is so it can't route you to the best datacenter.    That is the whole reason Cloudfare created 1.1.1.1.   To deal with these issues.

Thank you wuench.  Been using 1.1.1.1 here.

Do you have VPN servers configured on PFSense?

Here having some issues since turning on IP6.

I cannot get to my web servers / wifi devices via VPN since I have enabled IP6.  Rules sets are fine in the firewall.

Thank you wuench.

Testing this afternoon from mobile phone to home PFSense.

Connects fine. See connection on PFSense.

I can use RDP to get to Wintel servers and VNC to get to Ubuntu servers just fine. I cannot get to local lan web servers which is what changed when I started using IP6.

Have OpenVPN server installed so will try that connection and see what will happen.

Back