5 replies to this topic

#1 jmark

jmark

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

So we recently bought a new home, downsizing a bit to a 3000 sq. ft. ranch (with a loft/bedroom upstairs) after living in a much bigger house the last 10 years. When we moved into the old house I installed a M1 Gold system and used the Ion Micra-G wireless windows sensors which worked great (great enough that the buyer had us leave him the system as part of the contract)... so now 10 years later Im evaluating options for the new home... so a few questions...

Is an Elk M1 still the best option for integrating with automation hubs and lighting; I was able to keep my ISY and plan to go with Radio RA2 (or Select) for lighting eventually. In terms of sensors, is the two-way wireless system Elk offer, the way to go for sensors? Prewire only allowed entry/exit hardwired sensors, so to secure 19 windows, the Elk 6021s will set me back almost a grand, whereas the Micra-Gs would be half that. Finally, whats the modern way to integrate third-party monitoring - 10 years ago, we just used POTS... now we dont even have a landline for phone never mind for security.

If there are other decent security options out there to consider, I am evaluating all options. Thanks for any insights.

Mark

Edited by jmark, 01 May 2019 - 08:13 PM.

#2 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:X10-PLC
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

I think the M1 is still a good solution, especially if you want to integrate it with home automation.  Some people worry about the future and whether it will go end-of-life. 

I like the Elk two-way wireless, but it is still somewhat limited in terms of the number and types of wireless devices that Elk offers.  You can find more variety with the Honeywell and Interlogix wireless options. 

Leviton recently announced that they are discontinuing the Omni Pro products, so I wouldn't consider that as an option.

#3 TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

For monitoring, if you have decent cell signal coverage I like Alarm Relay for cellular monitoring. I believe they use Verizon’s network. They’re not too expensive and I’ve found them to be very professional. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 serodgers

serodgers

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Elk M1G here with Alarm Relay monitoring via Uplink 4500EZ GSM cell communicator. Used wireless GE sensors and Micra door sensors you mention for my exterior doors. Alarm Relay very helpfully and even sent me a replacement Uplink unit when Uplink bricked old first gen Uplink 4500EZ units with an over the air firmware update. Uplink only deals with dealers not consumers so even though it was a warranty issue they would not deal with me directly. I had purchased the Uplink unit on Amazon. Alarm Relay fixed me right up with a new Uplink even though they did not provide my original unit. Free replacement! Excellent customer service. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 mikefamig

mikefamig

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3460 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:UPB
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

I think the M1 is still a good solution, especially if you want to integrate it with home automation.  Some people worry about the future and whether it will go end-of-life. 

I like the Elk two-way wireless, but it is still somewhat limited in terms of the number and types of wireless devices that Elk offers.  You can find more variety with the Honeywell and Interlogix wireless options. 

Leviton recently announced that they are discontinuing the Omni Pro products, so I wouldn't consider that as an option.

Elk makes a two-way wireless sensor that has one built-in reed switch and allows you to attach up to two wired sensors or mechanical switches. This allows you to use all types of sensors and switches with the Elk wireless.

https://www.elkprodu...wo-way-wireless

Mike.

#6 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HomeTroller, ISY-99, StarGate
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:OBi100/110, POTS

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

What about Abode? They have a rules engine for automation and they seem to integrate with all the major products and technologies.

https://goabode.com/...//www.bing.com/

Edited by upstatemike, 04 May 2019 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users