Elk M1xIN expander board, dip switches

GQuack

I'm back again for another question. RAL thank you for your help.

I need to get my M1XIN expander board working now for additional hard wired zones. I am trying to set it up to use zones 81-96. According to the manual, the address dip switches are labeled 1,2,4,8 but on my physical board they are labeled 1,2,3,4.

Am I supposed to assume the manual designation is correct and ignore what is labeled on the physical board? If I go by the manual, I need a value of 6 so switches 2 and 4 ON (middle 2 switches), but if I go by the physical board, I would set a value of 6 by setting 2 and 4 ON (2nd and 4th switch). 

Attachments

• ELK hardwired zones V2.pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 4
GQuack said:
GQuack, on 14 May 2019 - 17:15, said:
I'm back again for another question. RAL thank you for your help.

I need to get my M1XIN expander board working now for additional hard wired zones. I am trying to set it up to use zones 81-96. According to the manual, the address dip switches are labeled 1,2,4,8 but on my physical board they are labeled 1,2,3,4.

Am I supposed to assume the manual designation is correct and ignore what is labeled on the physical board? If I go by the manual, I need a value of 6 so switches 2 and 4 ON (middle 2 switches), but if I go by the physical board, I would set a value of 6 by setting 2 and 4 ON (2nd and 4th switch).
Follow the numbering in the manual. The numbers on the switches are just position numbers, while the numbers in the manual are the binary weights. You want the two middle switches ON and the outer ones OFF for address 6.

One piece of advice... When you have a combination of wired and wireless expanders, Elk recommends that the wireless expanders be configured to start at address 17 and go up from there. Put the wired expanders at the other end of the address range and work down. That is, set your first wired expander for address 12, zones 177-192. That will leave a hole in the middle where you aren't using any zones. That way, if you add more wireless zones later, you won't run into the problem of the wireless range growing over the wired range and causing a conflict. If that happens, you'll need to reconfigure things and move all the zones around to create space.

Thanks RAL, I will set accordingly. I did take into account the wireless zones and decided to start the expansion board at zone 81 because I just couldn't see myself needing more than 64 wireless zones, (17-80) even that many seemed a huge stretch.

Is there anyway to tell if the expansion board is properly connected and setup? I see the LED flashing but I was hoping to avoid a potential problem where it looks like the board install and setup is fine but yet the expanded hardwired zones are not being recognized?

GQuack said:
Thanks RAL, I will set accordingly. I did take into account the wireless zones and decided to start the expansion board at zone 81 because I just couldn't see myself needing more than 64 wireless zones, (17-80) even that many seemed a huge stretch.

Is there anyway to tell if the expansion board is properly connected and setup? I see the LED flashing but I was hoping to avoid a potential problem where it looks like the board install and setup is fine but yet the expanded hardwired zones are not being recognized?

You can  check the enrolled devices from the keypad (menu 9).   That will tell you whether the M1 sees the XIN or not.

You can also look at the zone status in RP2.  If you are seeing voltages, that's a good indication that the XIN is working ok.

If it seems like things aren't working, the LED on the XIN blinks to tell you what it thinks is wrong from its point of view.

For the M1XIN "LED Blink" pattern

1=OK
   2=No Comm
   3=Not Enrolled
   4=Invalid Address
   5=OK To Enroll
   6=Address In Use

If you are having problems, one thing to check is whether you've properly terminated the data bus and have exactly 2 termination jumpers installed.

I have a single LED blink but no voltages and the M1XIN is recognized and shows up in the modules list but shows at address 9, shouldn't that be address 6?

(New attachment posted)

One explanation for 6 vs 9 is that you have the switch positions for ON and OFF backwards.  A switch is ON when it is moved towards the edge of the circuit board (away from the center of the board).

Did you try configuring any zones?  I'm not sure if it will show voltages for zones that are not yet configured.

[Edit]:

Just looking at my own M1XIN (which I based my answer above on). The switch bank has an upward pointing arrow (towards the edge of the board) and the word "ON" written on it.

But that is the opposite of what the M1XIN instruction sheet says. Is says the switch is ON when the switch is towards the center of the board. I think the instructions are wrong.

[Edit2]:

I found an explanation for what appears to be the wrong instructions in the manual. I took the X's in the diagram as showing the switch positions. Nope... the white boxes without an X show the switch positions. So the instructions are correct if you know how to interpret the picture properly.

I guess when I configured my system, I just saw the arrow and the word "ON" printed on the switch and never got tripped up by the picture in the instructions.

Ok, here's the latest, very interesting. I tried reversing the position of all 4 switches, 1 up, 2 and 3 down, 4 up. Rebooted the system, enrolled modules and the M1XIN disappeared so that didn't look good.

I reversed them again, 1 down, 2 and 3 up, 4 down, rebooted the system, enrolled modules and the M1XIN came back and in position 6!! Yay, I can now see the sensors on that expansion board.

No idea what all happened here but I'm guessing the switch positions and the ELK got out of whack with each other.

Looking good, moving forward.

RAL, thank you for sticking with me working through this, I appreciate it!

Back