Ring doorbell 1 or 2

pete_c

Guru
Getting a few Ring Doorbells today...

I know Ring version number 2 is better than 1.

Version #1 is $69 new and versin #2 is $139 with a DOT.

Which one would you buy?

pete_c said:
Version #1 is $69 new and versin #2 is $139 with a DOT.
2 must be twice as good as 1?  :unsure:

Basically they are similar, but the 2 has 1080p resolution, and the 1 has 720p resolution. Also the 1 has a 180 degree view and the 2 has a 160 degree view.  So its really up to you.  The 1 is probably a better deal, the 2 is somewhat higher resolution. The 1 and 2 both can run with battery or hardwired. The "pro" is like the 2, but only hard wired, but it gives you more options for motion detection like configurable motion area. It also has 5Ghz Wi-Fi, which the others don't, which is why it can't run on batteries. (Too much power) 

So it really comes down to, if the higher resolution is worth double the price. All cost the same for cloud storage. If you don't have that, they really aren't worth it. ($30/year)

pete_c said:
Got both and will return one of them.
That's a good idea. I have the "pro" one that works well, but its supposed to also ring my physical doorbell, and I think it did for about a week, but no longer.  Then it complained for some time about "low power."  I replaced my doorbell transformer with a huge one and it eventually worked.  

Ordered a second Ring 2 today.  Except today it did not come with an Amazon Dot.

Suggested to neighbor to purchase the Ring 5 piece security system (all wireless) at around 1/2 price today.

Returning the Amazon Auto as it was useless to me and going to try the DOT instead in the car.

That said purchased the Amazon Show this morning and a tiny outdoor intelligent IP camera (2) that pairs up with the Amazon Show...

...just to tinker with...the camera connects to a smart app or the Amazon Show...gonna try to connect it to the OmniPro 2 panel...

Both of these were Prime Day specials today... and will also work with the Ring Doorbell.

My understanding is that the Ring 2 also has a much better motion detector... and with Ring 1, you take the whole thing down to bring it in and charge it (or maybe you can just hang battery pack from the bottom?) - whereas with the Ring 2, there's a good sized battery you can just swap out.  I have the 2 and I had no existing wires to work with, so I can't hook it in - AND I use the option that makes it so it's always connected to my wifi and available for remote activation, so it chews through batteries every few weeks - so I bought a second battery and I just swap them whenever I get the message.  Makes it very quick.

Thanks guys.

These will be utilized with a wired doorbell connection.  First time use and use of cloud here mostly to tinker with and help family and friends.

All of them are tethered to the smart phones.

You guys are a bad influence, I ordered two Ring 2 doorbells on Prime day.

I primarily wanted one for my back door because I have no wires there and this will be an easy install. It points  at my detached garage which I've been thinking of doing for a long time. The second will go on the front door which is where packages are delivered. Expected delivery is not until the end of the month.

Mike.

Noticed the Ring (1 and 2) doorbell deal changed yesterday from the day before.  No Alexa Dots were included yesterday. 

I got my orders from Mon yesterday and Tuesday orders coming on Friday.  Got the Amazon show to display the doorbell and IP camera indoors without using a phone.

Doesn't it bother you guys to give Ring and Dot the kind of access to listen and look at you that they have? I have some cams here that are controlled and accessed by Blue Iris but I don't like the idea of Ring's cloud storage and sharing video with police. Who else might they be sharing it with and for what purpose? Marketing? Worse? It gives me the creeps.

Mike.

BTW, I changed my mind and cancelled my order for the Ring doorbells. I'll either install another cam or two or get a doorbell that I can access via BI so that I can manage my own recording on my own storage device.

Mike.

I don't think about it.  I am guessing you leave your phone on 24/7 and it is always connected to the internet such that you have already opened the door.

That said so far only doing the neighbors doorbell.  I have offered one to my daughter and she doesn't want it.  My son wants one of the ones I purchased and will probably install it for him.

For me I am still on the fence relating to installing it.  I had to purchase an angle bracket and would need to mount mine on the brick adjacent to the door bell (and wiring).  Initially did order the wrong angle bracket.  I will need to modify the bracket to pass the wires for installation.

Meanwhile charging the battery to configure it maybe indoors (its been HOT outside). 

And did also purchase a two way audio "Smart HD IP" tiny camera.  Really mostly to tinker with and connect it to another tinkering device (Alexa Show).
I am looking to maybe connect this device to the DVR and or OmniPro 2 panel.  Cloud is optional on this device.

Amazon has been fine with returns on purchased items so have no real concerns at this time.

Relating to Amazon...

Did have one issue with one purchased from a 3rd party widget from a couple of weeks ago.  Posted is that the returns are following standard Amazon policies.

It wasn't what I wanted so returned it last week (outdoor antenna widget).  The company printed a return label and it was easy.

Then I looked at the transaction and the company charged me a restocking fee which was around 50% of the total cost of the item.

So I called to complain and was credited the amount of the restocking fee.

So far only one Amazon Prime Day product was delivered in one day, others were all 2 days.  I am OK with that.

We are losing control due to our technology greed.

A few nights ago, people in Ontario, maybe Canada? were all woken up twice, starting about 3:43 AM to a foced amber alert on every smart phone user. The alerts had to be acknowledged, or it would not stop blaring the tee-dell grinding siren sound at the top of the mobile device's volume.

This was all to announce another estranged spousal pick up of the kids almost 1000km away. Sounds real life threatening. (sarc)

Rumours have it, to get revenge for the ridiculous method forced on all smart device users, many are calling 9-1-1 to report acknowledging the alert. Of course this bungs up the emergency lines but the authorities still claim it is a well thought out method, and will never change.

This may require a dump of smart cell phones and an additional smarter touch pad in the future as we lose all control of our products our hard earned money and data allowances paid for.

One response was to turn off your mobile phone every night at bedtime but the SMS messages following the alert  are annoying also, and cannot be blocked either.

Back