• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Noelep50

Noelep50

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:02 AM

My googling has let me down on this one. The motion sensors in our home (c. 1988) are recessed into what look to be standard sized 1 gang openings - but are orientated horizontally.

i havent been able to find any suitable replacements for these that will fit in the same openings; everything seems to be either vertical or surface mounted?

Pictures of the sensor in place, and the faceplate attached.

Any help appreciated - FWIW these are connected to an Elk M1 Gold.

Attached Files

#2 Noelep50

Noelep50

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

Faceplate

Attached Files

#3 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9507 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

I have not seen those.  In the 1980's in my parents home they had large in wall PIRs with shades on them to hide them.

Just use a blank faceplate and carefully mount  a PIR on it vertically and drill a small hole in it to pass the wires.

Or if the box under the PIR is just surface mounted and you have some touch up paint put a piece of dry wall in the removed surface mounted box with a small hole in it to pass the wires.  Once dry you can just mount the PIR to the repaired wall.  It will look nicer this way.

#4 Noelep50

Noelep50

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. They do work fine - it’s the yellowed plastic that is the problem. Maybe I can carefully mask and spray them white...

Patching and surface mounting would be last resort - having them recessed is nice and clean.

I have now found this

https://www.alldatar...-_p_101378.html

Looks like it might be able to mount horizontally but no way to know without just buying one...

#5 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2031 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:X10-PLC
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback. They do work fine - it’s the yellowed plastic that is the problem. Maybe I can carefully mask and spray them white...

Patching and surface mounting would be last resort - having them recessed is nice and clean.

I have now found this

https://www.alldatar...-_p_101378.html

Looks like it might be able to mount horizontally but no way to know without just buying one...

The Visonic MR4000 has to be mounted vertically.  There is a MR4000R for horizontal mounting.

Visonic stuff is difficult to find these days.  A quick google search doesn't turn up anyone selling the MR4000R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users