4 replies to this topic

#1 myyaz33

myyaz33

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

I see various options out there for vehicle detection and I am interested in a hardwire probe.  Looks like Cartell and EMX are the two most prevalent options.  My driveway is 500-600ft  so I expect that I will need a 500ft probe.  What I am not sure of when looking at the Cartell models is there are 2 options, 1 that comes with a controller and 1 that is completely self contained.  Not sure which one I should pick to tie into the Omni pro panel?  I think I can get by with 1 probe in PVC under the cement at a 45 degree angle.   When looking at the EMX option, I cant seem to find 500ft model and really dont want to splice out the gate.  The driveway is currently not paved so I have some time to get it right.  Let me know if there is something else out there I should be considering.  Really do no want to do wireless.  

#2 ASIHome

ASIHome

Dedicated Cocooner

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

The self contained unit is not a problem as long as you don't think you'll need to adjust the sensitivity. Using the separate controller and probe gives you the ability to adjust sensitivity.

#3 rockinarmadillo

rockinarmadillo

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 221 posts
  • Experience:novice

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:37 PM

I ran conduit and planned to install a wired driveway monitor.   However, after 3 lightning strikes and thousands of $$ equipment loss, I changed my mind and went wireless.   I have eliminated all outdoor wiring runs from my system (except for the sprinkler system) and replaced them with either fiber or wireless.   So far, so good.

#4 StarTrekDoors

StarTrekDoors

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

@myyaz33 - self contained has the advantage of being easy to replace. separate allows you to replace only parts that may degrade over time without a full overhaul.  Avoid the 45 and make a longer run at the pavement to be more parallel (closer to grade). If you have power out there, use a fiber transceiver for connection to your OP.  If you get a transceiver with multiple inputs, you will be able to add other things later that are not planned today or break up your sensor probes into more units for whatever you like.

@rockinarmadillo - Fiber transceivers are a perfect way to enable communications and avoid transient static discharge and lightning to eliminate the risks of "wire in the ground" installations. Excellent idea!  :pray:

#5 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9525 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

Years ago went to using wired Cartel sensors (2) - early 2000's.

Never had an issue.  The sensors were under the driveway. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users