New Video Doorbell

pete_c

Guru
Here started with a Ring Doorbell. It was easy to install and worked fine with my doorbell wires and interconnectivity to my OmniPro 2 panel

My set up here is a bit propietary and uses two Elk boards (Elk 930 and 924) to connect to the OmniPro 2 alarm panel.

I am not tethered here to my smart phone (never have been).

While I like the Ring Doorbell I cannot connect it to my home CCTV DVR so switching here to a

Hikvision OEM RCA Doorbell

hxxps://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/home-security/?sku=HSDB2A

Features:

Easy Installation: Connect the RCA Video Doorbell Camera to your existing doorbell wiring and to your 2.4 or 5 GHz WiFi network

Everything you need to install is included (requires an 8-24V AC transformer, existing working doorbell and electric drill)

Watch over your home with 3MP ultra high-definition video and live streaming; captures 50% more detail than full 1080p HD

Free recording of hundreds of events on the included 16GB micro SD card

Receive instant alerts when motion is detected using the free RCA Security All-For-One app and monitor your door from anywhere on your smartphone or tablet

ONVIF

Works with Amazon Alexa

Works with OmniPro touch (JPG captures)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1228]

Update 10th of September, 2019

Well first purchase of the RCA OEM Hikvision doorbell was a dud. 

I was sent a used one already registered which came yesterday.  This morning called and got a return label and getting a refund. 

Update #2

Before returning the camera I was able to get it going and testing streaming, JPG pictures and storage of events.  Worked great.

Like this way better than the Ring (which is still running).  Found a Hikvision branded doorbell this afternoon and ordered it.

Update 12th of September, 2019

Here is the link to the doorbell that I purchased.

It is called a Hikvision OEM.  It is also sold by Voxx (old Audiovox) under an RCA label (looks like RCA / Voxx) is in to smart automation / security et al.

Part number NBD 313-W / 16

Available on Amazon and Ebay...prices are all over the place.

• 3MP Sensor, 2048*1536 Resolution.
• View from head to toe of visitors, Vertical 180°FOV.
• PIR Detection Sensor, up to 5M
• Auto human detection with customized detection area adjustment to avoid the false alarm.
• IP65 rated. Dustproof and Waterproof.
• Built-in Microphone & Speaker
• All in one SmartPhone APP
• Easy to install with your existing doorbell system
• Dual band Wi-Fi Supports dual-band Wi-Fi, 2.4 and 5.0 GHz
• Two Ways to Save your recordings Micro SD Card and Cloud Storage

Works with any generic DVR.  Android / iOS apps.

It is around the same size as the Ring 1 and 2.  The PIR is the same size as the doorbell button.  Comes with faceplates and muliple brackets.

You can use your browser to see it on your network via two streams or via JPG stills. 

BTW the Alexa Show application for the IP camera is a direct connection between the camera and Alexa Show...it is not in the cloud.

I can't find any details about the Alexa Show app. Do you have a link with the details on that? also wondering if anybody has set this up on Blue Iris?

Found a bunch of info on the IPCamtalk forums relating to the HikVision WiFi doorbell.

IPCamTalk forum users have configured it to work with Blue Iris. 

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Here tested the "dud" camera and got it working with two streams and did JPG captures with it.

For Alexa you would utilize the generic IP RTSP application that I posted about over here ==>

hxxp://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/31745-monocle-amazon-alexa-gateway-service/

Note this application is a direct connection between the camera and the Amazon Show.

It also works with the RCA / Voxx doorbell iOS and Android apps.

OK Thanks. I tried using Monocle with my existing cameras but never got it working. I should go back and figure that out before trying it with a new camera.

I had some issues with it in the beginning.  I posted on the Monocle about it over here ==> hxxps://forum.monoclecam.com/topic/206/unknowed-brand-ipcam/23

I am petec on the monoclecam forum.

IE: for the new testing 5MP "smart" cam boards the feeds is:

rxxp://192.168.244.151/user=admin_password=password_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream

Microphone worked great.

for the Hikvision doorbell camera the feed isn't password protected:

rxxp://192.168.244.151/

I test here using VLC.

The camera(s) work with the OmniPro 2 panel Omnitouch screens, Homeseer Touch, Zoneminder (and new CCTV), Android, iOS and the new Alexa Show devices.

BTW all of the new cloud Smartcams are using same basic OS and today are ONVIF compatible and programmable such that I can program them via ONVIF software and the Dahua / Hikvision camera managers.

Would prefer to trigger an alert only when non-family members are detected (the minority of events.)
Feasibly?

The Hikvision 3MP doorbell is utilizing a generic PIR for motion alarm detection and the press of the doorbell button.

They are little computers as they were before but have more memory and OS space.

I am guessing next generation of 10-20 MP video doorbells will have facial recognition.  That is the push right now of the higher MP camera boards.

The higher MP boards are not really expensive at around $100-$200. The el cheapo 5MP boards are only $25.

Would be interested to hear experiences of situations where:
1) video doorbell was shown to be responsible for prevention of breakin(s)
2) video was used in apprehension/prosecution of individual

Or, for those who have them installed, is it largely a convenience (e.g. ability to speak to person at door w/o opening, or remotely), and/or largely an increased sense of security or safety?

New doorbell arrived yesterday...been tinkering with it.

What I like is that it comes with different colored faceplates and multiple bases. The box it came in is very generic with no MFG labels. Just the scan code / serial number et al on the outside of the box.

Note that the dud doorbell which was returned had been already registered and it came with some hardware but not all of it.

It is way more functional than the Ring Doorbell but not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1234]

Here is a picture of my test configuration using a spare AC transformer and current wiring of doorbell via ELK phone board and debounce board.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1233]

Works fine with the Windows ONVIF manager program and the Hikvision Camera manager program and Android manager program.

I liked the HikVision ap the best versus the RCA and Viz. Using the Android Hikvision application I added the testing #1 openboard camera. Ordered another open board camera last week. This new one has a 28mm lens.

Testing it with a 18 VAC transformer connected to it.

Here are some screen shots.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1231]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1232]

Noticed that the Doorbell and transformer (test transformer) were getting a bit warm.

On a few sites read to use a 24VAC transformer. (IE: current 18 VAC transformer is working fine with the Ring Doorbell and the two Elk boards (doorbell and ).

Purchased a 24 VAC doorbell transformer today from Amazon.

Endurance Pro 24V 40VA Thermostat/Doorbell Transformer, Power Supply Compatible with Nest, Ecobee, Sensi, Honeywell Thermostat, Nest Hello Doorbell and All Versions of Ring Doorbell 2 Wire Nuts Inc

Gonna wait to install it outside until new transformer is in place.

Here is a video of the doorbell installation and Blue Iris configuration.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/4rb1dvLmmsk[/youtube]

Update:

20th of September, 2019

Note: If you are not proficient at doing electric I would hire an electrician to do this.

Installing the new 24VAC transformer today.  It is much larger than the old 18VAC transformer. 

With the Ring Doorbell in place I did not need power resistor installed for the function of the Ring Doorbell.

Noticed here leaving the Ring doorbell in place when I added the required power resistor that the old chime would not ring.

And testing the new Hikvision doorbell the doorbell and 18VAC testing transformer got hot. 

Removing the old doorbell see that it is 10VAC and putting out 15VAC with no load. New one puts out 28VAC with no load.

Connected it and tested it with the Ring Doorbell. Chime sounds fine and Elk combo boards to Alarm panel also work fine. (Elk Combo is an Elk 930/960 doorbell circuit boards as pictured above.)

Outside also noticed that electrician ran 4 doorbell wires to old doorbell.

The new transformer has two leads (black and white).  The testing transformer had three leads (additional ground).

That said it'll get the ground from connecting the transformer to the electrical box anyhow.

This is similiar to the Elk 14VAC transformer used today for the OmniPro 2 panel.  The original HAI transformer only had two leads.

The PITA part here is that there are autonomous 120VAC leads for the smoke detector there and 120VAC leads for the transformer. A bit busy in the electrical box.

Next connecting the HikVision power module as described above and testing for chime ring with Ring doorbell in place.

After connection of the power module tested doorbell (with Ring) and the old doorbell chime works fine along with the doorbell zone trip via the Elk 930/960 boards.

I was running an IP camera event via the doorbell ring. (IE: email, text and video stills). Now can do the same pulling the video / stills from the DVR or SD card storage. Also had a pop up video on the Omnitouch screens when the doorbell would ring. (and Homeseer touch screens). Might be able to do this with the Amazon Show video integration and HA.

Noticed with the updated power supply the old analog chime is much louder now (almost too loud).

The doorbell zone runs "TTS"...via Homeseer and now Alexa...

22nd of September, 2019

Software configuration:

1 - The HikVision doorbell was easiest to do inside of the house with an aux AC transformer.
2 - The doorbell works with 5/2.4 Ghz WiFi and here noticed it connected faster to the 2.4 Ghz WiFi network.
3 - For me it was easier to scan the QR code and write down the serial number and password for programming. (that is me).
4 - push the reset button for 5 seconds and the doorbell will tell you to pair using the Android app
5 - scan the QR code or manually type the serial number and 4 digit code
6 - the device configuration is in AP mode when you are doing this.
7 - it will be talking the whole time during configuration. First part will say that it is connected to your house AP, then it will configure the doorbell to connect to your house AP.
8 - once this is done it will register your doorbell to the cloud application and will provide some options for your doorbell.
9 - after this is done you can disconnect the doorbell from your test AC transformer and install it to your front door.
10 - NOTE: the doorbell has a rechargable battery but does not stay on when removed from your power source.

Hardware configuration / installation

Note: if unfamiliar with low voltage electric or doorbell wiring then hire an electrician that is familiar with doorbell low voltage wiring. I am assuming the reader can do this DIY. My set up here is using the Elk 960/930 boards (doorbell and debounce) which uses a 22/4 wire to the alarm panel for 12VDC and NO/NC switch.

IE: 4 wires used for the Elk 960/930 boards and 2 wires going to the doorbell chime / doorbell button (24VAC). 

Noticed too that the base of the doorbell comes with a stick on padding to create a seal between the doorbell and the brick mounting base here.

I used a tiny cement bit on my regular drill (no hammer drill required) with the smallest screws to mount the base to brick.  IE: same as the Ring doorbell mounting.

There is 1" of wood such that I have to mount the doorbell adjacent and using the angle base on the brick next to the door trim (side window pane) and drill a tiny hole in the angle base to pass the two doorbell wires to the doorbell (as I did for the Ring Doorbell).  IE: the doorbell wires are run inside of the side window panel frame (must be hollow?).  In another home the doorbell wires were run to a cement wall / stucco wall 90 degrees from the door. 

The new doorbell is a bit shorter and less wide than the Ring Doorbell.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1237]

The doorbell chime is a lot louder now with the 24VAC transformer than the old 10VAC transformer.

Installation is more difficult than the programming of the doorbell. Will provide pictures of each step.

1 - disconnect the two power wires on the 24 VAC transformer

2 - soldered on a short 22/2 alarm wire to the end of the doorbell wires as they were very short. Used heat shrink tubing on the solder joints.

3 - Passed the wires behind the bracket. (same as the base for the Ring doorbell). You can put some calking if you want where the wires come out for a water seal. I did not see this necessary as the base rests against the hole / doorbell wires.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1238]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1239]

4 - an aux tiny level was provided and there is a slot in the base to mount the level on for drilling the two holes to the brick. (no level was provided with the Ring doorbell).

5 - leveled the base and used painters tape to hold it in place while starting the holes. Removed the base and drilled two small holds in to the brick.

6 - mounted the angled doorbell base included with the doorbell. (for the Ring this was purchased separately).

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1240] 
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1241]

BTW I do not like that the only default doorbell configuration of the camera is using Android or iOS (phones or tablets).  It would be beneficial to have a generic web page set up.  Using the ONVIF and Hikvision software and an Android Virtual box to configure the features. All new video doorbells and smart cams use this methodology of cloud enabling / QT code and cell phone / tablet configuration (this assumes that most folks are tethered to their phones whatever OS is running).

PIR outdoor sound was too loud so muting it. The HikVision Android application is not as refined as the Ring application. It is very similiar except that the triggered events are stored on the SD card rather than the cloud.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1242]

I am also configuring the doorbell video to the Omnitouch screens and using programming lines to pop up video when doorbell rings.

Update 22nd of September, 2019

Doorbell chime was working fine then I noticed the combo 960/930 doorbell zone value was not changing from secure to not secure.

Here is the diagram. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1243]

The normal secure loop value is 248.  I have an EOL in place and the not secure loop value goes to 128 when ringing the doorbell.

With the included power booster module (thinking this is a resistor) the doorbell chime rang fine but the HAI zone value would remain at 128 and never change. Some wiring diagrams mention that the power booster module is optional.

For the Ring doorbell I did not have any resistor in place.

Removed the power module (resistor) and all appears OK.

Streaming RTSP links are: (via VLC)

1536X2048

rxxp://192.168.244.152/

Update 24nd of September, 2019

The voltage swings on the new OEM Hikvision doorbell were too much for the Elk 930 to handle so went analog using a reed switch inside of the doorbell triggered by the coils in the ringer. I got false Elk 930 triggers when streaming VLC video. Thinking the doorbell is using much more power than the Ring doorbell.

Quickie steps for those using a regular mechanical door chime, Elk 960/930 combo.

1 - purchased a new 24VAC 40VA transformer - Endurance Pro - Amazon - $18.49 - install it.
2 - run a new cable to the doorbell chime from the area of the doorbell transformer and Elk 960/Elk930 boards - this was a bit of a PITA. 
3 - disabling Elk 930 current sensor doorbell board.
a - Disconnect two Elk 930 input wires and twist these wires together.
b - Disconnect the Elk 930 output negative wire and out wire and connect these two wires to the new doorbell reed switch.  These wires go the the Elk 960 debounce board and will leave the board in place.
c - use a magnet on the reed switch to see if it works OK.
d - after placement of the reed switch by doorbell coils test it again pressing the doorbell button.
IE: here there is a doorbell trigger on the OmniPro panel that does TTS (via Alexa or Homeseer MS SAPI).

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1243]

Noticed that many folks are using these doorbells (generic OEM Hikvision) and with that finding open and flexible firmware. Started to look and found firmware that has stock ONVIF and two RTSP streams which is newer than my firmware. Been using the Hikvision batch configuration program to see all on the doorbell and the Hikvision Android program which is a bit limited. Some guy edited the firmware to using MQTT now for alarm and video features.

Update 2 24nd of September, 2019

Testing the chime and reed switch noticed that I had to put the reed switch about 1" away from the coils for this to work.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1244]

Testing the reed switch / doorbell chime coils worked and now getting no false triggers from the Elk 930.  With the Elk 960 I can adjust the debounce time which I did just shorting out the wires while watching the LED and hearing the solenoid click on and off.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1245]

With the 24VAC / 40VA transformer the chime is really loud (good thing).  For a long time used no chime and just the Elk 930/960 boards.

Next steps here relate to changing the firmware (and using Hikvision Configuration software) on the OEM Hikvision doorbell which will :

1 - allow two RTSP streams from the doorbell (sans a cloud connection)
2 - changed the IP from DHCP (static mapping) to a static IP and DNS entry.
3 - use ONVIF or RTSP streaming
3 - enabling JPG capture (for the OmniPro 2 panel) enabling CGI (option on the configuration software).
4 - you can change the storage of motion events from the SD card to a NAS or local client.
5 - hopefully get the firmware updated with MQTT soon.
6 - noticed too I can telnet to the camera.

Back