• 3872 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HomeTroller, ISY-99, StarGate
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:OBi100/110, POTS

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

I wonder how practical it would be to have both a Caseta Hub and an RA2 Select main repeater in the same house and use something like Hubitat to tie them together. This would let you use devices from both product families so you could use Caseta switches in a ganged plate with Picos and have everything match and use RA2 Select when a device from that family would work better or look better in a given location. Any down side to this approach?

#2 wkearney99

wkearney99

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1502 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:EventGhost, Girder, Mister House, NetRemote
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, Z-Wave, ZigBee, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, Grandstream, Linksys PAP2, OBi100/110, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

The downside would be you'd HAVE to use a 3rd party hub to do any cross-system control.  

If you're looking at this as an upgrade to existing Caseta installs it might be ok.  But if you're looking at it solely as a way to cost-cut... it's probably a bad idea.  Why deliberately cripple an integrated setup?

This is entirely Lutron's stupidity, as the devices themselves all use EXACTLY the same RF setup.  But it is what it is.  

Look at it this way, it's a one time cost.  Lay out the entire house and what it would take it automate all of the lighting.  Choose your hardware based on that potential total.  If it's more than 50 or 100, well, plan for Ra2.  I've got a house with ~150 Ra2 devices and at no point have I had any trouble with any of it.  Not just technologically speaking, but from the wife/kid/guests ability to make use of it with zero complaints.  

Edited by wkearney99, 11 October 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#3 vc1234

vc1234

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

I wonder how practical it would be to have both a Caseta Hub and an RA2 Select main repeater in the same house and use something like Hubitat to tie them together. This would let you use devices from both product families so you could use Caseta switches in a ganged plate with Picos and have everything match and use RA2 Select when a device from that family would work better or look better in a given location. Any down side to this approach?

Both habitat and Home Assistant can use multiple bridges. It is preferable to use the caseta pro version bridge (rather than the standard one) because the Pro acts identically to the select repeater from the integration PoV (telnet).  It is also preferable to use a custom Lutron plugin in HA because it does not rely on internet connectivity but rather on the Caseta Pro/Select telnet access ( https://github.com/u...tron-caseta-pro ).

In my second property in Florida I've recently installed a bunch of caseta switches/dimmers rather than the overpriced RA2 stuff which I had used before in my NE house. I was thinking about using zwave instead but decided to compromise with caseta (by giving Lutron as little money as possible) for fear of zwave not being able to penetrate CBS walls -- I am not familiar yet with RF signal behavior over CBS. 

Rather ironically I decided to add a zwave lock located between 30-35' from the controller about a week ago.  I was pretty sure it would not work without an intermediary zwave repeater, but it did, and the signal is stronger than in my MA wooden frame house over a shorter distance of 25' or so,  but somewhat obstructed by a brick fireplace.

#4 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

My problem with RA2 is they don't have switches that match the Pico remotes so you can't have a ganged switch plate where some switches are Picos and others are load bearing switches but everything still matches. Not a cost cutting thing but rather a way to get access to all of the different switch and keypad styles since they don't overlap across product families.

#5 vc1234

vc1234

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

My problem with RA2 is they don't have switches that match the Pico remotes so you can't have a ganged switch plate where some switches are Picos and others are load bearing switches but everything still matches. Not a cost cutting thing but rather a way to get access to all of the different switch and keypad styles since they don't overlap across product families.

Caseta stuff blends rather ok even with conventional switches (see the attachment).  A RR2 dimmer would not IMHO blend any better ( http://www.lutron.co...ew.aspx?pgid=41), and at this point I am not inclined to replace all switches with automated ones.  But it's a matter of taste.

Attached Files

#6 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

Sorry you missed my point. I was saying you need Caseta in a multi-gang plate if you also want Pico remotes in some spots. You can get Pico remotes that look just like a Caseta switch. There are no Picos that look like an RA2 switch.

#7 vc1234

vc1234

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

Sorry you missed my point. I was saying you need Caseta in a multi-gang plate if you also want Pico remotes in some spots. You can get Pico remotes that look just like a Caseta switch. There are no Picos that look like an RA2 switch.

I was not very clear, sorry.  Naturally, picos will blend perfectly with caseta switches having the same button layout, I have a couple arranged like that.  I meant that they will blend ok even with conventional switches, too.

#8 wkearney99

wkearney99

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1502 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:EventGhost, Girder, Mister House, NetRemote
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, Z-Wave, ZigBee, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, Grandstream, Linksys PAP2, OBi100/110, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

All of these products use the same plastic so your color and texture are going to match regardless and which ones you install.

I have both raw 2 full opening paddle switches and Pico installed in the same faceplate and they look fine. Personally I dislike the Pico-like layout of the caseta switches and greatly prefer the slim side paddle adjustment for dimming on Ra2 switches. But tastes will vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users