Replacement keypad for Napco Magnum 1010?

benze

Hi,

I have a 30yr old Napco Magnum 1010 system that is still working fine. But the digital keypads are starting the wear and are do not respond to all the buttons. I can get around it a bit for the alarm codes (ex: don't use #6),but it is a nuisance when it comes to zone bypass.

Is there anywhere I can pick up compatible replacement keypads? Can I clean the circuit boards effextively if I disassemble a keypad with Isopropyl alcohol? Do other Napco keypads (ex from the Gemeni line) compatible with the Magnum series? Or something more recent? Where would I be able to buy replacement units?

Thanks!

Eric

Your best bet for finding a replacement keypad is eBay.  Not sure which specific keypad you have, but there are several that show up in a search for the Magnum 1010.

You might also be able to use a newer model of keypad, such as the RP1054e

If the old keypad uses rubber button type keys that press on a copper circuit board trace, you can often refurbish the keys using some carbon based paste like this stuff:

https://www.sciplus.com/keypad-fix-45985-p

Thanks.

I ended up finding a couple on eBay locally but will also attempt to disassemble my current ones and clean then. They have led buttons, so not sure if the court contacts are the same. Its like the RP 1000eLCD.

Instead of that paste, can I just use Isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks

Eric

Eric B said:
Thanks.

I ended up finding a couple on eBay locally but will also attempt to disassemble my current ones and clean then. They have led buttons, so not sure if the court contacts are the same. Its like the RP 1000eLCD.

Instead of that paste, can I just use Isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks

Eric
The rubber type buttons use a thin layer of conducting material on the back of the button to create a short between two copper pads on the circuit board. The conducting material on the button looks like a thin, black carbon layer.   Usually what happens is that layer wears off over time and then the button fails to make a connection.   The paste restores that layer.

You can try cleaning the buttons and circuit board with alcohol, but in my experience, it does little good.  Sometimes, the buttons will work again for a while after doing that, but eventually, they fail again. And at some point, no amount of cleaning will get them to work again.

Back