direct burial network cable - should I get gel filled?

JimS

Need to run about 270 ft to another building and putting in conduit.  But buried conduit gets moisture and is considered wet.  Don't need 1000 feet so was looking at 500 ft spools - enough for the foreseeable future and then some although I could go for 1000 if that's what's needed to get good cable.  Lots of choices and most have waterproof tape rather than gel which seems not as good.

I know to avoid CCA (copper coated aluminum) but otherwise what other things should I be looking for?  Planned to buy Cat6. 

Looking at wireandcablemyway.com, monoprice, and amazon although I just found this on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cat6-UTP-1000FT-Ethernet-Cable-Outdoor-Direct-Burial-Gel-Flood-23AWG-Bare-Copper/123330377496?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D873f1f9891724220920f305854ed209b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D122154846871%26itm%3D123330377496%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I try and stay away from Logico brand cable as I don't consider them a reputable, name brand like Paige, Coleman or General Cable.  Some of the Logico cable is CCA, some is solid copper.  All made in China.  They don't always specify what it is on the packaging, which leaves me suspicious.  One box of cable I bought turned out to be CCA, but was not labeled as such.

If you go to their web site, they claim to be a "100% owned and operated brand," whatever that means. They show a picture of a cable factory, leading you to think they own it. Yet, their corporate headquarters is a store front in a business strip mall, without even the company name on the door.

JimS said:
Looks good but also pricey...
It's too much work to replace for me to worry over a couple of bucks. I'll spend a little more to not have to look back.

If I change an external fan belt on my car I'll go for a bargain becasue it is easy enough to replace but when I change the timing belt I'll buy the best.

Mike.

Keep in mind that if the cable fails you will lose all data to the building and it can take some time and money to pull it out and replace it. That cable that I linked to is also cat6a which I figure will be sufficient for years to come (I hope).

Mike.

Yes, I agree it is worth more to not have to replace it later.  And I found it wasn't as much more as similar products as I initially thought...

I tried to add a cable to my 200' long buried conduit using a rope that I had left in there just for this reason but it was impossible. I ended up needing to remove the existing cables and pull them all together again, re-splicing it all, not fun. Even now I wish I had used one or even two extra cables but I didn't because of the cost.

Mike.

Consider running pre-terminated fiber.   I ran copper and then pulled it out after getting hit by lightning.  (twice)   The media converters on both ends are relatively inexpensive and plug and play.   It will cost a little more, but for my installation it was worth it.

rockinarmadillo said:
Consider running pre-terminated fiber.   I ran copper and then pulled it out after getting hit by lightning.  (twice)   The media converters on both ends are relatively inexpensive and plug and play.   It will cost a little more, but for my installation it was worth it.

^^^This^^^!!!

Having been hit by indirect lighting twice in the last 15 years I now user fiber runs between all of my network switches and between my cable modem and my router for some level of isolation. The cable modem run uses media converters at each end, the others are run through a Ubiquiti fiber switch that is connected to the router.  You also don't necessarily need to use media converters if you use switches / router that have fiber ports such as most of the Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch / EdgeRouter lines.

We are building a new house in a few years with an out building and I will run fiber between the two structures. Will likely run a 4-8 pair cable for things other than network.

I have had outstanding luck with Fiber Store. They are extremely helpful and the prices are excellent.

I'd 100% agree on the fiber if you're doing ethernet - plenty of switches have fiber GBICs available even.  If that's not feasible, then I'd just pick up a box of Ubiquiti ToughCable.  I've used it on plenty of tower installs, between buildings, etc.  L2 if it's truly exposed; L1 if it'll be in conduit.  As long as you terminate it properly, you should be good - the only failure I've had was from a direct lightning strike to a tower - but then again, half the tower exploded so you can't expect much from 24 gauge gable at that point.

batwater said:
^^^This^^^!!!

Having been hit by indirect lighting twice in the last 15 years I now user fiber runs between all of my network switches and between my cable modem and my router for some level of isolation. The cable modem run uses media converters at each end, the others are run through a Ubiquiti fiber switch that is connected to the router.  You also don't necessarily need to use media converters if you use switches / router that have fiber ports such as most of the Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch / EdgeRouter lines.

We are building a new house in a few years with an out building and I will run fiber between the two structures. Will likely run a 4-8 pair cable for things other than network.

I have had outstanding luck with Fiber Store. They are extremely helpful and the prices are excellent.
I did a little looking at the fiber store and unless I am missing something I can do fiber cheaper than CAT6 direct burial cable.  I need 1 gigabit speed and run is 300 ft.  I didn't see anything on wet rating.  This will be in conduit so mechanically protected but wet.  dual fiber total price looks much cheaper than 1.  Not knowing quite what I am doing here are some prices on possible hardware:

35333 Media converter  $26  (two needed)
SM-LCU-LCU-DX-FS-XM-PVC  300 ft   $23.29
29848   1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver $11 (two needed)

Apparently I also need a cleaner:
39721   $57

Total is $154.29

Looks like I have a few minor things remaining like power supplies for the converters and patch cables to make a true comparison.  Am I right on the above parts?  I will contact the company to check as well.

What is the size of the end terminations?  (how big of conduit do I need?)

It looks like I could do something like this for a switch with fiber ports

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeSwitch-10-Port-Passthrough-ES-10X/dp/B07L29568Z/ref=asc_df_B07L29568Z/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312727440900&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14164178688606167717&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022368&hvtargid=pla-623306884547&psc=1

but what do I need for the other end?  Are the fiber terminations standard or do I need to worry about what sort of end termination?  The price looks reasonable - not that much more than a converter and switch and probably better quality than the cheap switches I am comparing to.

I used pre-terminated cable with pulling eyes.   It will cost quite a bit more that what you have quoted, but you dont have to mess with the end terminations.   Search for model 29611

I recommend LC duplex connectors on both ends.  They are widely used and compact.

Your converters need to be matched to your fiber.   I used multimode 50/125 fiber.   Seemed like a good price point that will work for short distances.   Your converters need to have a GIBC that has LC connectors.

If you use fiber converters, you dont need a fiber switch.   You will just run a cat 6 patch cable from the fiber converter to your conventional switch.   I eventually upgraded to an Ubiquiti fiber switch on both ends of the fiber.   I wanted managed switches.   The fiber converter worked just fine before the upgrade, though.

I was very careful when pulling the fiber.   I used lots of lubricant in the conduit and pulled with minimum tension.   Be careful not to kink the fiber or pull it across a sharp edge.

I am not an expert, but was able to get my system up and running with a little effort.    It has been rock solid.   No maintenance required.    

I was under the impression that what I was looking at included terminations since they were pictured and in the description.  But now I am not sure...  I was looking at 74192.

https://www.fs.com/products/74192.html

Doesn't appear to be intended for outdoor conduit locations.  Will see what they respond with - I told them my application details.

Back