Help with Elk or Elve rules

smolino

I have and Elk M1g installation and Elve home automation.

I am having reliability issues with one of my shop furnaces and want to monitor if the furnace starts correctly.

I have an Elk zone connected to the thermostat that calls for heat on the furnace (zone 52)
i have an Elk zone connected to the blower motor on the furnace so I know when the blower comes on (zone 147)

I need a Elk rule or an Elve script that watches for a heat call, zone 52 violated, and then wait 60 seconds for the blower to come on, zone 147 violated. If the blower comes on, cancel the watch. If zone 147 doesn't violate within 60 seconds (meaning that the burners didn't ignite), send me a email/text message.

Any thoughts?

I think this pair of rules for the M1 would do what you want.

Whenever zone 52 becomes not secure
  Then turn output 1 ON for 1 mins. Restart timer if running

Whenever output 1 is turned OFF
  AND zone 52 is not secure
  AND zone 147 is secure
  Then Send email message

The reason for the "restart timer" is that some systems automatically attempt to re-ignite the burner if it did not light.  Don't know if that would be something you would see on the zone input, but if it happens within the 1 minute window, that will prevent a false email if it ignites on the retry,  

I'm curious - how are you connecting the zone inputs to the thermostat and blower motor? Are you using relays to provide dry contacts to the zones?

I will give those rules a try, it looks like that should work.

To connect to the thermostat zone, I have a 24VAC relay drawing power from the furnace.
To sense the fan running, I'm using a current sensing relay.

RAL said:
I think this pair of rules for the M1 would do what you want.

Whenever zone 52 becomes not secure
  Then turn output 1 ON for 1 mins. Restart timer if running

Whenever output 1 is turned OFF
  AND zone 52 is not secure
  AND zone 147 is secure
  Then Send email message

The reason for the "restart timer" is that some systems automatically attempt to re-ignite the burner if it did not light.  Don't know if that would be something you would see on the zone input, but if it happens within the 1 minute window, that will prevent a false email if it ignites on the retry,  

I'm curious - how are you connecting the zone inputs to the thermostat and blower motor? Are you using relays to provide dry contacts to the zones?
You wouldn't want to use output 1 though (speaker/siren), right???  Maybe output 101 as a phantom output?

TrojanHorse said:
You wouldn't want to use output 1 though (speaker/siren), right???  Maybe output 101 as a phantom output?
Yes, sorry.  I just pulled a random number out of the air for the output.  A phantom output is perfectly fine.

Right. I just chose output 110. And since the Elk email capabilities are limited, I decided to turn on another output (111) if the conditions are true, and my Elve installation will watch for that output turning on and send the appropriate email/text.

Thanks!

Back