• No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

pete_c

Guru
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1300]

• Infections top 64,000: Mainland China has recorded 5,090 more cases of the novel coronavirus[/url] bringing the global total to 64,435. The death toll from the coronavirus[/url] has now risen to at least 1,383, outside mainland China.
  •  
  • About the spiking numbers: China's government said the spike in cases was due to a change in how cases are tabulated. The total will now include "clinically diagnosed cases" — people who demonstrate all the symptoms of Covid-19 but have either been unable to access a test or are believed to have falsely tested negative.
  •  
  • Medical workers at risk: China says over 1,700 medical workers have been infected by the virus, and six have died.

I think the U.S. will be in much better shape to keep some control over it, but it's still very dangerous IMO should it get loose in this country.  Fortunately, we're able to get a significant head start on how to best deal with it.

I don't think China is even close to slowing it down yet, despite what their government would like people to think.

The summer weather will slow it's spread. Let's hope that they develop a vaccine between now and the next flu season. I took a pneumonia shot recently that could help if I do get it. There is an article on the front page of a newspaper from a neighboring town of a young school teacher who died of pneumonia caused by flu. They didn't say which strain of virus.

I'm not as likely to contract any illness by contact because I'm retired and not exposed to other people as much as younger people are. Being older I'm more likely to die if I do get it so I'm not real happy about it. I'd hate to be a school teacher or work in public health right now.

Mike.

I'm more concerned with climate change and a number of other things going on in the world right now. Corona Virus is not my first concern.

Mike.

Coronavirus: Senior Chinese officials 'removed' as death toll rises- BBC News

[youtube]http://youtu.be/cEKXaxiBiw4[/youtube]

SARS was another form of this same virus. They attempted to wind the world up for that one, but better hygeine likely got it under control without chemical poisons injected, unfortunately for Merck and other multi-billion dollar pharmaGiants.

There are quite a few patents on different strains of coronavirii in the US patent office since about 2004.

China is the source of most flu virii according to US propaganda. This is likely due to their hygiene in their homes and cities.

Be careful of what you read and believe, as some people just likely to scare the world, as cyberterrorists.  Most call themselves editorialists or journalists in attempts to get their name in lights.

I am not really worried about another flu in N.America.

Note no statistics regarding other flus are ever used for comparison against the 'new' coronavirus. It may put the scare tactics in perspective for the public.

What concerns me is the response. This is the largest quarantine ever. They don’t lock down cities of tens of millions of people and spray the streets with disinfectant from large trucks and wear hazmat suits for people with the flu. It’s looking more and more to me like this is a bio weapon that got loose somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanHorse said:
What concerns me is the response. This is the largest quarantine ever. They don’t lock down cities of tens of millions of people and spray the streets with disinfectant from large trucks and wear hazmat suits for people with the flu. It’s looking more and more to me like this is a bio weapon that got loose somehow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're not the first one to suggest that!

I was pointed to a US patent for the same virus from years back and apparently this is just part of the coronavirus family. SARS was another one. The vaccine companies experiment with these "bugs" and flu viruses are known to mutate when irritated by unsuccessful poisons. This is one of the reasons no "real" flu vaccine has been developed. It just causes more mutations.

Most of the reputable medical websites report most people would just think they had a bad flu (which it is) and not suffer any long-term effects.
Weakened immune systems look out!

The funny part is all the people walking around with dust filters over their mouths. This is to prevent the wearer spreading the virus while coughing and cannot prevent inhalation with a particle mask. Viruses run about 0.0005 microns while a dust mask filters 0.3 micron particles.

One thing I've learned about observing China over the years (particularly with respect to economic data or data that could embarrass the government), is that you can't trust the numbers out of China (it's much worse than any other government...)

That said, if we take the numbers at face value here from Johns Hopkins:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

There are currently
67,079 confirmed cases
1,525 deaths
8,156 recoveries

Some people are saying this virus has a ~2% mortality rate (1,525 / 67,079).  Well, by the same logic, there's also only a 12% recovery rate (8,156/67,079).  I don't believe that's the right way to look at it.  We won't know the mortality rate until the open cases are closed.  A perhaps better way is to say of the closed cases (9,681 = 1,525 + 8,156), the mortality rate is 16% and recovery is 84%.  I suspect that's closer to reality than 2% mortality.  The much higher mortality rate, combined with a likelihood of many more undiagnosed or undisclosed cases would explain the Chinese government's I'd say draconian response to the outbreak.  

We the people aren't being told the entire story, and it seems that the Chinese authorities aren't telling (and are trying to censor) the truth to other governments and also organizations like the WHO.   This situation has me concerned.  I fear this could get nasty, but I sincerely hope I'm wrong...

I want to say no but I'm saying undecided for now. I don't trust the information out of China. Let's see how well the rest of the world deals with this and I'll decide. I think we'll see this again next year.

I voted no based on my optimism.

That said it's already out there in the rest of world including us in the US mostly because it was never supposed to have been.

Back