3 replies to this topic

#1 toddr

toddr

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

Ok, I have a Omnipro II with a 64 Zone Receiver and Driveway Sensor.  I remember reading somewhere that Leviton was discontinuing these products.  Sure enough, I go to look for a replacement Driveway Sensor (since the delivery truck driver went way off the driveway and took it out!) and can't find them except on EBay.

I searched through a couple of threads and forums, and found some similar products, but wasn't sure if anyone has installed any wireless driveway or exterior sensors; since they discontinued them.  I really don't want to run a wire!  

I'm looking at the STI-34159 Wireless Driveway as they look very similar to the Levitons.  It looks like they can be connected to a 

STI Wireless Page: https://www.sti-usa....slave-receiver/

Product Literature Link: https://www.sti-usa....loads/34400.pdf

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?  I'm thinking my 4-button wireless remotes may be impacted if the wireless receiver ever goes out.  Should I be looking at another receiver or add a secondary GE Logix?

Thoughts?

#2 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9751 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

Most of the wireless (non HAI) security alarm panel devices should work fine with with your HAI 45A001-1

That said you can also purchase wireless sensors with a receiver that ends in an NO/NC switch to which you would run a wire to.

Understood about outdoor wired sensors.  

Personally here use Cartell driveway sensors wired to the alarm panel over 20 years old now.  Never did fail.  

#3 toddr

toddr

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

That's good to know about the Cartel sensors. I ran across their website, but didn't look too much since the were wired. Maybe I just need to run a wire and install an expansion panel in the garage. Currently, my panel is upstairs and to run it to the driveway would be about 500-600 ft. Just trying to avoid that amd possibly lightning hits! But I'm glad to hear you have had your panel working like that for 20 years.

#4 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9751 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:46 AM

On the Homeseer site / Omni Plugin section / author Rob Mason used wireless driveway sensors to analog sensors on his OmniPro 2 panel.

He built his home on the family farm.  The Omni wireless sensor is a sensor manufactered and sold by another company which is still selling them.

Personally extended my low voltage cabling underground less than 300 feet per run.  One lightning issue occurred with a surge from lightning taking out one AC outdoor AC compressor melting the compressor next to the house / brick.  Inside the surge tripped breakers and burned out a few in wall automated switches.  House insurance did pay for all of the damage.  I was able to get a new outdoor compressor in less than a week.  

A few folks here on the forum are using runs of fiber these days for long runs from their home out.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users