Using Alexa To Change Russound Source And Zone Vis OMNI Pro

spagettilegs

I'm wondering if it's possible to ask "Alexa, Play (source) in (zone)."?

I'm running OMNI Pro ll with Russound CAV 6.6 and Dealer PC Access. 

Thanks!

You can utilize Homeseer 3 / Russound serial plugin for your CAV 6.6 and / or purchase a micro serial server such that both the OmniPro and Homeseer control your CAV 6.6.

You can utilize Homeseer / Alexa this way to control your Russound CAV 6.6

The Micro serial server that I purchased was made to use with the Russound serial port.

Today you can also utilize serial to ethernet software on Linux or Windows / splitting software which I used for splitting my Davis Weather station serial output from the console many years ago.

Many thanks for your help. It's much appreciated!

I'm using Homeseer as well so I will buy the plugin and give it a shot. 

Gracias!

¡De nada!

You can utilize a standard RS-232 cable with a serial to USB device to connect to the Russound.

I made my RS-232 cable using cat5e and RS232 baluns.

pete_c said:
You can utilize Homeseer 3 / Russound serial plugin for your CAV 6.6 and / or purchase a micro serial server such that both the OmniPro and Homeseer control your CAV 6.6.

You can utilize Homeseer / Alexa this way to control your Russound CAV 6.6

The Micro serial server that I purchased was made to use with the Russound serial port.

Today you can also utilize serial to ethernet software on Linux or Windows / splitting software which I used fo

Hi Pete,

"The Micro serial server that I purchased was made to use with the Russound serial port."
Which specific serial server did you use? I'm looking for an IP to Serial adapter instead of using a USB to Serial adapter.

Thanks!
r splitting my Davis Weather station serial output from the console many years ago.

Hi Pete,
In your post, you said "The Micro serial server that I purchased was made to use with the Russound serial port." Which exact model did you get?

Welcome to the the Cocoontech forum avpman.  I was using this device for the connection to/from the OmniPro 2 panel and Homeseer 2.

It allowed for reads and writes to both the OmniPro 2 and Homeseer 2.

It is labeled router rather than server.  The company that sold these was in Colorado.  Not sure that it is still around.

I disconnected the device to take a picture of it.  Russound amps sit on the top of the rack and I never touch them.

Also using the Keypads and Omnitouch screens for Russound control.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1359]

Great news avpman!

How are you utilizing these serial to ethernet servers relating to the OmniPro 2 panel and / or Homeseer plugin connection?

Very successfully on the Homeseer Zee with the Blade BLRussound plugin! Blade recently made some improvements to the plugin. Most notably, the ability to change/select the channels on the ST-2 XM tuner. I use the XM tuner with my HT set up independently of the whole house Russound CAV. He added the ability to turn on/off and control the XM tuner for that purpose. The CAV doesn't need to be on.

Just a heads up, since I also control the Russound CAV from the Omni panel, and only one of the CAV's serial ports can be used at a time, I connected the IP-Serial server to the ST2-XM tuner's serial port, and it transmits sigs to the CAV without issue.

There are still a couple of very minor issues with the plugin. For example, when you first turn on a keypad the volume setting in HS doesn't update. Any subsequent action on or to the keypad updates the HS device values. He likely needs to poll the keypad for its settings when initially turned on.

Here testing another similiar device except that it is RS-232 to RS-232 via long range wireless.  It is a 1 watt device and over kill and not really FCC approved.

Price was good from China last year.  Purchased a few of these.  Only testing it here though with my RFID set up.

Here is the title of the Ebay device.

LoRa Transceiver Wireless Radio Modem E32-DTU-433L30 1W RS232 RS485 433MHz

It is $23.59 USD.

Thinking I purchased it cheaper from another vendor.

Range is 8000 meters which is 4.9 miles.

Did set up another pair of these for a user in ATL with Homeseer for his LED sign display.

Back