Need recommendation for wireless contact closure compatible with Elk

bfschroe

New Home. Will have Elk M1 Gold. Using a Marvin door that has built-in wiring for open/close status. It requires a wireless transmitter connected to the pair of wires. What contact closure transmitter is best for Elk integration?

Thank you,
Bruce Schroeder
Greenville, NC

Elk has wireless receivers for 3 different sets of sensors.

1. Elk's own, proprietary two-way sensors.
2. GE/UTC/Interlogix 315 MHz sensors.
3. Honeywell 5800 series sensors.

GE/UTC/Interlogix has discontinued their line, though there are still a couple of other companies that make compatible sensors.
The Elk two-way stuff has a limited set of sensors.
That leaves the Honeywell 5800 series, which has a wide variety of sensors.   That's what I'd choose.

The 5816 would do what you need.  Although it is a magentic contact, it has terminals for an additional wired contact.

I didn't see any pricing... how much cheaper is this new line? I wonder if you can install a two-way receiver for things like wireless smoke detectors plus a 319 MHz receiver for less critical sensors? 

BraveSirRobbin said:
I was on Elk's site recently and noticed they are coming out with a new one-way, supervised, cheaper wireless sensor series.

https://www.elkproducts.com/319wireless
Looks like there is no new receiver - they just use the existing M1XRFEG GE/Interlogix receiver.  I see the new sensors as Elk's way of keeping the GE/Interlogix wireless line alive after UTC/Interlogix dropped the business.   I'm glad to see another source of compatible sensors.

Still trying to understand the new Elk-M1XRFEG 319.5MHz receiver vs the 2-way M1XRFTWM. Both lines allow multiple receivers on a single M1 controller for better coverage but I don't see anyplace where the possibility of mixing receiver types is addressed. Since the transmitter options available do not overlap that much (no outdoor contact with one and no smoke detectors with the other for example) I could see wanting to use both receivers on the same M1 controller. Is this a supported configuration? Just not following what Elk is trying to do with 2 different product sets that do not overlap so it is not just a "standard vs premium" type of offering.

Elk doesn't recommend mixing wireless receiver types, but you can do it and it will work if you configure it properly.  The main thing is to make sure that the M1XRFTW comes first in terms of addressing.

If I mainly want the wireless sensors for automation and not security (like voice reminders that doors and windows have been left open when it starts to rain) is there any real reason to pay for 2-way or would the 319 MHz stuff make more sense? I'm also having a hard time getting accurate pricing to compare the real cost difference. There doesn't seem to be many places that offer both product lines.

I haven't priced wireless sensors in a while, but last time I did, the Elk 2-way sensors, like the 6021 mini window sensor, were about 2x the price of an equivalent Honeywell or GE/Interlogix sensor.

I liked the concept of the Elk two-way sensors when they first came out.  But I've been disappointed with how slow Elk has been to grow the product line, and that the price has remained so high.

These days, if I was configuring a new wireless system, I would go with Honeywell 5800 series sensors rather than GE/Interlogix, since GE/Interlogix has abandoned the business.   GE/Interlogix sensors are still available, and there are a few other manufacturers that make a limited subset of compatible sensors, but why paint yourself into a corner?

Back