#1 olie

olie

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I have an Omni Pro 2 panel and I want to put in a driveway sensor and have my omni panel notify me(email notifier board) and turn on lights etc etc.

I have accessible power at the hydro pole where the driveway sensor is to be installed. I have several UPB plugs and use UPB to control the lights in my house. I am wondering what would be my best option to achieve this. And detailed instructions how to do this.

Input/Output Module

3 Input/2 Output Low Voltage or Contact Closure 16-Pin

I was looking at this ^^^ but not sure how I would achieve what I need by using it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have access to PC Access and Upstart.

Thanks,

Brett

#2 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9869 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

Here many years ago installed two Cartell sensors a bit under driveway and just ran the wires to the panel.

All you would need to do is run the cables over to your panel.  You could also connect the cables to your UPB contact closure.

#3 olie

olie

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:12 PM

My driveway is quite far away. I’d prefer not to run an additional wire all the way to in my basement. Is there any options to use my existing regular electrical that I have at the hydro pole for my outdoor yard light? I’m not opposed to wireless either as I have a levitan wireless receiver (45A00-1 I believe is the product number). I just need some know how on how to do this. Again anything helps

#4 TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

What type of sensor - magnetic loop in the driveway, photoeye or something else? How far away do you want the sensor? If it’s too far to run wire not sure wireless will work? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 StarTrekDoors

StarTrekDoors

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:17 PM

My driveway is quite far away. I’d prefer not to run an additional wire all the way to in my basement. Is there any options to use my existing regular electrical that I have at the hydro pole for my outdoor yard light? I’m not opposed to wireless either as I have a levitan wireless receiver (45A00-1 I believe is the product number). I just need some know how on how to do this. Again anything helps

Pete was suggesting you connect your driveway contact closure to the UPB I/O and you're good to go!  No need to make a long run :)

#6 olie

olie

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:40 PM

Could you explain how I would go about doing this? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Please correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly.

If I buy a UPB I/O and plug the driveway sensor right into the "always on" standard outlet, the driveway sensor would work as normal and then I would just use PC Access to program??

Sorry if Im missing something fairly obvious here, my knowledge is very limited when it comes to this sort of thing. 

#7 TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:43 PM

What is / type of sensor? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 olie

olie

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:47 PM

I haven't bought a specific driveway sensor yet.. probably go with Dakota or Cartell not really sure yet. I would only need a 10 ft probe so I would save money in that regards.

As far as the module(UMI-32-W), I think that is the one that you guys are referring to.

Edited by olie, 02 May 2020 - 11:47 PM.

#9 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9869 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:42 AM

The probes I used were NC / NO switches with a 12VDC power supply way long time ago.  I offset two on both sides of the ~ 40 foot width driveway. 

In the early 1990's used one set of photo cells.  Lots of false triggers.

#10 olie

olie

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

Just to clarify if I'm thinking about this correctly... If I buy this (Simply Automated UPB 3 Input 2 Output Module) and simply plug the driveway sensor into the "always on"" plug it will work same as setting up a UPB light? Sorry Im just very confused about all of the inputs on bottom of the unit?

Thanks for all help 

#11 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 9869 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:44 PM

Personally have never owned or used one with my Omni Pro 2 panel.  That said the manual mentions that the device sends links upon contact closure.

I have accessible power at the hydro pole where the driveway sensor is to be installed.

How far is it from the UPB controller. 

Have you tested a light / appliance module at the hydro pole to check the range of your UPB controller?

SA states:

UPB transmits farther (over a mile), is less susceptible to powerline noise and capacitive attenuation (signal reduction) than other technologies for three reasons:

• Pulse Position Modulation is a highly reliable time based method of sending bits; it narrows the possibility of power line noise affecting communication, unlike X-10 and other carrier modulation technologies.
  • UPB pulses on the power line are approximately 40 volts; more than five times greater than the 5 to 7 volt signals of X-10.
  • UPB transmits at low (4 to 40 kHz) frequencies, carrying much more power than higher frequency technologies like X-10 that transmits at 120 kHz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users