POE injector or router?

JimS

Have 1 camera I want to mount on the detached garage and will have a router there for wifi and other connections with a wire for ethernet run back to the house.  Want to do POE for the camera to eliminate the extra wire and contemplating how I should do it.  I have a wifi router I can use so thinking I may just get a single port POE injector.  This will limit adding more cameras later but probably the one is enough.  Even if I get a POE router I would still need a way to get wifi so would have two routers.  Not that familiar with POE equipment so posting here to get feedback or other ideas.

No real problem.  Just thinking about if I should do POE injector(s) or a POE router...

POE switch.
The problem with injectors is the power source.
Every injector needs another outlet.
An 8 port switch is one outlet powering 8 cameras.
No need for multiple routers, one in the house is enough.

Frunple said:
No need for multiple routers, one in the house is enough.
It's 300 feet from the house.  Don't get the signal there and need wifi and a few more physical ports.  Could use a switch instead but need something for wifi too.

Those PoE routers always seem like a waste, because 90% of devices don't need it. Even if you have a big one, chances are at the ends, you'll need another switch, so you'r big PoE won't help there either. 

I buy these:  https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-POE200-Injector-1000Mbps-Compliant/dp/B07PR9CBGL/ref=sr_1_1
And note, you can put these by the camera or by the router, your choice. Whatever works.  

Now, if you are getting 16 cameras all connected to one router, and that's it, sure, get the PoE router. 

Here not related to cameras went to a managed Gb POE switch which powers the Ruckus AP, Ring Alarm base, Ooma box and Panasonic Phone system.

The panel mounted PFSense box, Arris Modem and Managed POE switch are all connected to a UPS.  Note this is in house #2 family's house.

The Ring alarm base has it's own battery and backup cellular connection which works well and is all wireless (wireless base, keyboard console, door sensors and PIRs).

ano said:
Those PoE routers always seem like a waste, because 90% of devices don't need it. Even if you have a big one, chances are at the ends, you'll need another switch, so you'r big PoE won't help there either. 

I buy these:  https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-POE200-Injector-1000Mbps-Compliant/dp/B07PR9CBGL/ref=sr_1_1
And note, you can put these by the camera or by the router, your choice. Whatever works.  

Now, if you are getting 16 cameras all connected to one router, and that's it, sure, get the PoE router. 
That looks like a good way to go as I already have network cable to the garage and just need one POE.  I could run another cable for power but this is simpler.

Here started initially with 1-2 POE cameras and used POE splitters in the beginning as the first IP cameras were not POE. 

Over time adding more cameras went to a POE mid stream injector managed switch. (Tycon: many many years ago).

The drawback with injectors is that you can't remotely toggle the power as well as the fact that you have 1-n power supplies vs 1 in a POE switch. For our home I use Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 8, 8-Port Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch with SFP, 150W (ubiquiti site for ES-8-150W) switches where I need POE. You get the benefit of a managed switch which allows things like setting up VLANs to isolate traffic, monitor data flow and the ability to toggle and turn on/off any one of the POE ports from a browser interface to name a few. I have one out in our garage and there have been no thermal issues at all, very robust hardware.

Back