Omnipro weirdness! Help!

heffneil

Hey guys my Omnipro II has started doing weird stuff.  It is beeping in a weird pattern (three beeps or three beeps and another three beeps) on like only one keypad! Nothing is recorded in events.  I reset the system by pulling the plug and battery.  This morning it was happening so I powered off two of my expansion enclosures.

The only other thing i've notice is that I can com unavailable for many of my thermostats.  They eventually come back online?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

I also got a call from the alarm company about my wireless receiver (Which I don't use) showing a trouble.  I disconnected it to see how things behave.

I would start by first removing the wireless transciever that you are not using and remove the wireless configuration using PCA and do a warm reboot. 

Call the alarm CO and ask them to go in to test mode first.

Removed the wireless receiver physically.  I still have the problem.  I also added some network devices in the house but disabled them as well.  Still happening weirdly....

Neil

The only other thing i've notice is that I can com unavailable for many of my thermostats.  They eventually come back online?

Personally the above and the one console beeping are signs that the serial bus is having issues.   

That was the first sign here when I started to have issues with the promiscuous network port.  Another symptom was my clock going way off...minutes off in the span of an hour.

Another cause for serial bus problems could be defective wiring or hardware like NC/NO switches (PIRs, door switches et al) or an interior horn that is monitored and drawing too much power.

Try disconnecting the network port, warm reset it again and see if you hear console beeps and or communications issues with your thermostat(s).

If disconnecting the network port works; then that is your issue.

Tell us what happens.

Right that wasn't the most coherent was it ;)

The only other thing i've notice is that I have com unavailable for many of my thermostats.  They eventually come back online?

So I wonder if I have a thermostat going bad in the mix?

I have had network weirdness in the past and I have to send the unit in to Leviton for repair. Or I have a loop.  I haven't changed anything to be in a loop recently so I don't know whats happening...

So I wonder if I have a thermostat going bad in the mix?

Could be.  If you see comm errors on all of the thermostats or consoles then it is a serial bus issue.

Did you try to disconnect the network port?

I haven't had beeping since this morning.  I didn't unplug the network because then everything will be unreachable...

Good news!

Understood about the network stuff.  How do you have your network connection set up?

NIC ==> network switch?

How is your time sync stuff...do you have to keep adjusting the clock?

Unplugging the power and battery does a warm reset of sorts.

You can also just go to installer mode on one of your keypads using installer code and do a warm reset there. 

Go slow there cuz the next option is a cold reset on the console menu.

pete_c said:
Good news!

Understood about the network stuff.  How do you have your network connection set up?

NIC ==> network switch?

How is your time sync stuff...do you have to keep adjusting the clock?
I am running Haiku Helper so it and Haiku on the iphones is resetting the time regularly when I connect - I think.  I haven't manually updated the time.

To give you guys an update and for my records I have no disconnected ALL serial ports.

I currently have a russound, leviton and rs-485 to another omnipro in my guest house.

Everything is unplugged and theres been no crazy beeps - so I think its safe to say the thermostats are not the problem!

Is there a way to remote reset an omnipro?  I want to reset the guest house without going over there....

I've never done this.  It does warm reset with you upload new or same version of firmware when you utilize dealer version of PCA.

I almost said it was a problem between my two Omnipros but just now I had a BUNCH of beeps and the only thing I plugged back in was my network.  All of my serial ports are unplugged.  So it must be a network thing - but what could it be?!

Edit: Another reason I thought it was my other omnipro is because I saw the same behavior on my other omnipro but it must be getting hammered from the same network defect.

Why is the omni so vulnerable to network traffic?

Thanks!

Back