Mounting camera to exterior wall

JimS

Have a 14' high exterior wall and want to mount a camera.  Had thought about putting it under the eave and it would be somewhat weather protected there but that's quite high.  If I mount it lower I am thinking about the best way to do it.  Wall is 2 x 6 studs.  Could use a short section of PVC conduit or similar to make a tube through the wall and shove some insulation in it after the cable is in.  New construction so the walls are open now but want a way to replace the camera in the future without tearing too much apart.  Cables visible inside isn't an issue as it's a garage.  Walls will be insulated and will have sheathing on the inside (plywood not drywall). 

Mount a regular electrical box, using regular electrical conduit.  The blue plastic kind would work well enough.  Use whatever exterior grade box/cover would best suit the install.  Flush to the side, an exterior box standing o the surface, etc.  Run the conduit to/from where ever you need.  This way if there's an inspection done of the structure you're not going run afoul of any code violations.  

Local AHJ doesn't care about low voltage at all.  They do inspections but didn't want to see the trench for power to the detached building before I backfilled it either.  So no issue with inspections.

Would like to avoid an exterior surface mount box.  I did mount a camera on the house eave where I already had a recessed box but that was a quite different situation.

The connector on the camera is 0.79" diameter.  Just over the ID of 3/4 PVC conduit so I would need to use 1". 

Unless I come up with something better thinking a 1" conduit through the wall and clamped to a stud that just butts up to the exterior sheathing and projects just through the wall on the inside.  The camera mount will cover the hole on the outside.

JimS said:
Local AHJ doesn't care about low voltage at all.  They do inspections but didn't want to see the trench for power to the detached building before I backfilled it either.  So no issue with inspections.

Would like to avoid an exterior surface mount box.  I did mount a camera on the house eave where I already had a recessed box but that was a quite different situation.

The connector on the camera is 0.79" diameter.  Just over the ID of 3/4 PVC conduit so I would need to use 1". 

Unless I come up with something better thinking a 1" conduit through the wall and clamped to a stud that just butts up to the exterior sheathing and projects just through the wall on the inside.  The camera mount will cover the hole on the outside.

What Bill said is something better

If you'd said you didn't want a box then I'd still have said, use a box.  Use a round one.

Because the next camera put there probably won't be the same size and you'll regret not having a decent mounting point.

Use a round box, with a round plate, mount the camera to the that plate.

Going with the through the wall conduit but putting a box on the inside flush and a conduit in the wall up to the attic.  Just a small hole behind the camera that the mount covers. 

Back