this past summer, i started on a power reduction project. i swapped out a bunch of incandescent & halogen lights for CF, consolidated servers (now 3 instead of 4), sprinkled more occupancy sensors around the house to shut off lights, swapped out the standard thermostats with some ones with contact closure setbacks and really scripted the hvac stuff in my automation controller, etc. we've now gone from a peak of 37 kwh/day in june to 25 kwh/day last month and on a same month, previous year basis, we are now a bit lower and almost on par with our usage 3-4 years ago.
i've attached a graph of our usage since we moved into our house in '99. for context, we have a gas water heater, furnace & range. everything else is electric.