OmniPro II motion sensor problem

Redgecko

Hi, need some help please. Have a wired motion sensor that is throwing a not ready code. Seems to be registering movement, LED flashes but I assume it's no longer communicating. Is it likely to be the sensor, I have no problems with any others in the house, and if so are there any readily available replacements? TAny help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

If you have tested the 4 wires to the PIR to be fine then you will be fine upgrading to another PIR.  Personally here have never had a PIR go bad. 

I have had door contact wires stretched from the house settling and had to rewire them.  (really a PITA to do).

I upgraded my very old PIRs to combo Microwave / PIR motion detection devices a few years back.

I went with the el cheapo generic ones on Amazon.   Topic came up recently that Amazon also has the newer Bosch combo PIRs reasonably priced.

I suggest that you upgrade to the newest combo type sensors.

Pete thanks for the reply. What would I be looking for when testing the wiring?

Before testing tighten the wires on the zone connections in the panel and on the PIR.  I have seen them come loose over time.

Disconnect the four wires on the PIR side and the Omni panel side.   On one side twist a pair of wires or use alligator clips to short out the pair.

On the other side use a VOM meter / continuity tester.  If it beeps then there are no breaks in the wires.  If it doesn't beep there is a break in one of the two wires you are testing.  Then do the same for the second pair of wires.

You mentioned that the LED was flasing on motion.  That means that the PIR is still getting 12VDC from the panel so more than likely it would be the two zone wires that are problematic.  

As mentioned I have never seen a PIR fail. 

VOM

A new combo would be suggested to upgrade your IR PIR sensors like this one:

Bosch BDL2-WP12G TriTech Motion Detector Pet Immunehttps://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BDL2-W...t=&hvlocphy=9021640&hvtargid=pla-569972730440

A replacement will most likely act the same as the one you are using if there is a wiring fault.  

pete_c said:
Pete thanks for the reply. What would I be looking for when testing the wiring?

Before testing tighten the wires on the zone connections in the panel and on the PIR.  I have seen them come loose over time.

Disconnect the four wires on the PIR side and the Omni panel side.   On one side twist a pair of wires or use alligator clips to short out the pair.

On the other side use a VOM meter / continuity tester.  If it beeps then there are no breaks in the wires.  If it doesn't beep there is a break in one of the two wires you are testing.  Then do the same for the second pair of wires.

You mentioned that the LED was flasing on motion.  That means that the PIR is still getting 12VDC from the panel so more than likely it would be the two zone wires that are problematic.  

As mentioned I have never seen a PIR fail. 

VOM

A new combo would be suggested to upgrade your IR PIR sensors like this one:

Bosch BDL2-WP12G TriTech Motion Detector Pet Immune

A replacement will most likely act the same as the one you are using if there is a wiring fault.  

Thank you again Pete, I'll check things out and see what I come up with. Appreciate your time and replies.

Thanks Pete, got things sorted.
Not sure what went wrong but the detector was at fault, new Bosch one fitted and system all good again.

Back