#1 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7609 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:53 PM

Hello CT members:

My wife is in need of a good book/video source(s) on quickly getting up to speed on Python.  Of course I will search on Google, but I'd far more trust advice from our membership here first.

She is an experienced programmer starting out with C, then C++ and onto Visual C++ and has also learned Lua and some others on an 'as needed' basis (i.e. not detailed knowledge, just enough to get a specific task accomplished).

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BSR

#2 picta

picta

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, StarGate
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, Z-Wave, CentraLite
  • Audio:HAI
  • Video:Custom

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:47 PM

For an experienced programmer this may be helpful:

Python Cheatsheet

I have picked up python to do machine learning projects, and this was my crush course: 

Crash Course Python Machine Learning

The book is also very good, with a lot of practical examples, but the goal is to get up to speed for ML.

Edited by BraveSirRobbin, 26 April 2021 - 07:10 AM.

#3 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7609 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:11 AM

Thanks picta.  I like those links, especially the cheat sheet one!  BTW, I fixed the links in your post.  Thanks again!

#4 LarrylLix

LarrylLix

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Hardware:ISY-99, Custom
  • Tech:INSTEON, 1-Wire, Custom
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:35 AM

For a beginner, the Internet is likely the best. For an experienced writer the Internet is likely the best (sometimes) and covers the latest revisions.

I have looked over and/or read about 60 python books and I haven't found  any that good or complete.  Python is too big and dynamic so you have to look up python new things every code writing sessions.

Every book writer goes off into their style of coding and subject matter, most trying to push their favourite custom code install. Stick with what comes inside the latest python version for portability and reveal of parameters/options.

Custom pieces of code modules can change when the authors "eat too much pizza" that day, and may not function on the next install of her own code.

Be aware there are slight differences between Win Python and linux Python and RPi python and .....

#5 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 10964 posts
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:30 AM

Personally here went to the Internet / Google to program a piece of code in Python / PAHO MQTT running on a Lua OS (OpenWRT) a few months ago.

This piece of Python code worked with a ONVIF to MQTT plugin written with NodeJS / NPM.

I did find a blog / guru that was familiar with PAHO MQTT.  I did write a piece of code patterned after what he wrote about and had issues with the code executing.

His suggestion was insertion of debug statements between functions in the code which wrote to a log file which did help a bunch.

I reached out to him (in the UK) and he helped me.  Very friendly chap.

#6 LarrylLix

LarrylLix

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts
  • Hardware:ISY-99, Custom
  • Tech:INSTEON, 1-Wire, Custom
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:57 PM

I have used the same technique. Every function has a first line to report what function it is from and a list of the passed parameters. This is all reported to a main routine function with a logic switch to enable it(print or log  the passed report) or disable it (ignore it).

Later I used another parameter, a debug level so I could enable select reports by seriousness. This helps more with large, many function programs.

Python can be very cryptic and very lousy for debugging so these techniques help a lot.

#7 gulshannegi

gulshannegi

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 03:32 AM

I found some of the best books while searching on the internet:
1: Head First Python
2: Learning Python
3: Python Tricks
4: Fluent Python
5: Python in Nutshell

0 user(s) are reading this topic