Trouble accessing cocoontech.com

mikefamig

Am I the onlt one having trouble accessing this web site using Firefox? I am able to get here with Chrome browser but get and error 522 in Firefox. This has been going on for weeks and I have turned off all of my ad blockers that I know of.

Mike.

Worked for me just now using Firefox, granted it was an old version 56 install of it (old plug-in without a recent update).

I have a limited knowledge of networking but I'm thinking maybe Frontier Communications DNS problem? I know that when I tried to change my DNS servers to Google servers a while back my Frontier IPTV was no longer usable. The TV Guide and online features were all messed up.

Mike.

Edit - but that doesn't jive with the fact that it works with Google Chrome.

If you have the option, change the DNS addresses your router is using.  Don't just accept the ones the router gets via DHCP from Frontier.

1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 are two easy to remember choices (cloudflare and google).  But there are other public DNS servers out there.

wkearney99 said:
If you have the option, change the DNS addresses your router is using.  Don't just accept the ones the router gets via DHCP from Frontier.

1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 are two easy to remember choices (cloudflare and google).  But there are other public DNS servers out there.

I can not do that because my IPTV depends on the cable companies DNS servers in order to work properly.

If your router allows DHCP leases, set up ones for your PCs and configure the DNS in the lease.

That or most operating systems allow changing just the DNS addresses while still using DHCP for the address.

Did a new Firefox installation on my Windows 11 / Ubuntu 20.04 tablets, laptops and PCs and it works fine with Cocoontech.

New Windows Edge is a custom Windows Chrome interface.  Personally have never liked Chrome.  (that is my opinion).

The older Firefox (updated) installations on my Linux Laptops do not work unless I go to safe mode in Firefox.  (been like this for years for me personally).

Today I let PFSense do the DNS stuff via DNS Resolver.

TV's get OTA via HD Homerun / direct connects and still using grandfathered DTV here (slammed by AT&T when they purchased DTV). Good news is they have spin off DTV as they lost much monies purchasing it.

Streaming a bunch these days using my KODI boxes. (prefer to use my Linux KODI boxes for Netflix / AOD accounts).

Just a quickie Wiki reference here relating to using any ISP DNS servers.

DNS Hijacking

My solution some 15 years ago with installation of Verizon FIOS was to utilize the Verizon FIOS box just for the TVs and create a new LAN network with an aux firewall.  At the time II bridged one Ethernet interface to a DD-WRT combo wireless Firewall. This worked fine for me until Frontier took over the Verizon ISP account.

I have mentioned this before here on the Cocoontech forum.

Frontier slammed the Verizon account and I lost internet access for two weeks.   They are on my S-List and hopefully will never have to deal with them again anytime in the future.

I did have to file an state attorney's complaint against Frontier at the time.

That said when it was fixed I cancelled the Frontier Fiber account and went to XFinity at the time.  

So the suggested fix is to a la carte your network a bit ....

Frontier ISP box  (shut off the wireless) ===>

1 - TV's requiring the use of the Frontier network (with their DNS servers) - direct Ethernet connections.
2 - Combo firewall / WAP (or separates) bridged to one Ethernet port on the Frontier box providing you with a separate Internet to ISP connected network.

Every time I make a custom setting in the router it complicates maintenance and the cable company pushes upgrades that could cause me troubles. It is also one more thing that I have to remember. I'd rather just use Chrome to access cocoontech.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
Every time I make a custom setting in the router it complicates maintenance and the cable company pushes upgrades that could cause me troubles. It is also one more thing that I have to remember. I'd rather just use Chrome to access cocoontech.

Mike.
In windows you can override the DNS settings on each workstation.  Let everything else use the defaults.

But, truth be told, you should never run a network without having reliable and well-understood DNS.  If anything I'd set up leases for JUST the set top boxes to let them use the ISP DNS, and have the ROUTER use the 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 servers.  It's pretty easy to do.  

I have been using FireFox for a few years now. Other than the website being down occasionally, I have no problems with it.

I have noticed that FireFox has developed the Chrome and Edge bug lately, where you click on something and nothing happens the first time. That was why I switched away from Chrome and Edge. They don't seem to send a proper EOL every 6-10 link clicks.

Who cares if it uses HTTP or HTTPS?

Every time I make a custom setting in the router it complicates maintenance and the cable company pushes upgrades that could cause me troubles. It is also one more thing that I have to remember. I'd rather just use Chrome to access Cocoontech.

Understood Mike.

Déjà vu Mike.  We have written / discussed this before here on Cocoontech.

I read yesterday about preferring Firefox in Windows now switching out of Microsoft Edge (Chrome).

Here also utilize PFBlocker-NG.  (Snort, Squid, PFBlocker and DNS Resolver)  You have to be vigilant these days.

Best browser these days is the TOR browser (Custom Firefox - which does work fine with Cocoontech) which uses routers all over the world and slows down your surfing experience.

Using Windows 11 on a couple of devices here. Personally it is mostly more fluff (pretty icons / desktop) to the Windows 10 OS.  

Back