[CES] 2006 Exclusive Update

BraveSirRobbin

Please read THIS General CES 2006 Update Disclaimer FIRST:

Stopped by the Smarthome booth where Elk Technologies was displaying their latest touch screen display.

Basically it takes all the information from the Elk M1 Module and makes it available for touch menus which can later be edited. It has an ethernet and RS-232 connection on the back and requires 12 volts DC for its power.

Screen shots are below. Availability and pricing were not known at the time.

I would also like to thank Trudy Phillips and Melissa Hirt of Elk Technologies for their time that they spent showing me this product today!

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)

Also, here is a catalog image of the Elk new "ELK_M1KP2" keypad below (one was not available for display during CES).

Plenty more CES updates to come in the next few days! Just wanted to get this one out quickly as people were interested in it.

Those pics look great! That CE based touchscreen is going to open a lot of possibilities!

One correction is that the Touchscreen has Ethernet and RS-232. The Touchscreen does NOT run off the M1's RS-485 keypad bus.

Spanky said:
One correction is that the Touchscreen has Ethernet and RS-232. The Touchscreen does NOT run off the M1's RS-485 keypad bus.
Yea, I was wondering about that, especially when I saw the RJ-45 connection. Will make the correction in the original post!

Hi Spanky;

One more quick question. Can I connect this to the Elk panel via RS-232 without an Ethernet expansion card then? I guess if I do this I then loose the ability to connect to a PC serial com port (looks like a case for getting the Ethernet card)?

Thanks and BTW it was very nice meeting Trudy and I told her you said hi!

Regards,

BSR

You will be able to connect to the M1 using the Ethernet or Serial port on the Touchscreen. If you use the Serial Port connection on the Touchscreen to connect to the M1, you loose the ability to use the M1's Serial Port 0 to connect to other devices. In some applications this will be OK.

Well Elk's touch panel can no longer be called the "Phanton Touch Panel". There really is such an item. Thanks for the update,keep them comming. Can't wait to get one in my hands? Quick question, Price?,release date?

Very nice! Will there maybe be different bezel options, or color choices or even a paintable bezel?

The first shipping units will be Leviton Wall Plate White. Different colors will be made upon enough requests. You will be able to paint the bezel. It has a light texture. The pictures of the Touchscreen that BSR took had a SLA prototype bezel that was painted. It looked a little rough in the picture.

smee said:
I like the look of the new keypad, too.
I like it very much too. It looks very modern, but I miss F5 and F6. Is there a key combination to reach them, or they just dont exist in this new keypad.

So if these require 12vDC power and are connected via ethernet, does that mean there is no way to power them via the elk panel? What would be the recommended way of installing these so they stay up during a power outage?

Back