SmartLabsMike

Hello Cocoontech.

I have joined the forums to try and help with outstanding questions related to INSTEON. While I do work for SmartLabs my comments are not official responses. I am just taking the time to help out where I can.

thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to CocoonTech.com! We definitely appreciate you taking the time to join and answer our questions, thanks!

Welcome Mike,

Any unofficial roadmap or timeline info on upcoming Insteon products that you could share? Are you by any chance familiar with a third-party translator product called RoZetta that is supposed to be coming out soon?

We are always hungry for news on what is coming up next!

Thanks for the welcome to cocoontech. I will try to answer as many questions as I can.

Roadmap – We have several INSTEON-enabled products on the horizon from SmartLabs as well as 3rd parties. Currently, one of the next products will be ToggleLinc V2’s. Unfortunately, we have only received samples for testing so I do not have a timeline at this point.

I am not personally familiar with RoZetta, but I will ask around.

SmartLabsMike said:
Currently, one of the next products will be ToggleLinc V2’s.
Mike,

Your presence here is very appreciated.

For the benefit of your future customers (I'm sure that I speak for several of them) it would be nice that in addition to the SmartLabs brand name you also use the common name of the device. I dont know what a ToggleLinc or any *Linc is. I have tried to memorize it but, Gosh... there are so many. :)

I will also take the opportunity to pass you my very short wish list:
- Duplex in-wall switch or dimmer (with capacbility to control two loads locally - no other device required). All my common zones lights are in duplex switches. No space for other switch.
- Screw-on switches or dimmers. Some insteon conpetitors already have it. What can be easier to install? If the duplex switch is not in the near future I might have to install a multi-button wall controller (whatLinc?) and control the remote screw-in switches. However, this does not work in all lamp fixtures. :(

Anything like to above in the roadmap?

SmartLabsMike said:
Currently, one of the next products will be ToggleLinc V2’s.
I'm kind of surprised that ToggleLincs are seen as a priority ahead of fixture modules and RF remotes. (Both commonly requested items on this forum).

On another topic, do you know what the deal is with the default ramp rate on Insteon stuff? The old V1 X-10 devices had a nice practical ramp rate right out of the box but the Insteon stuff ramps so fast you might as well be using a relay switch!

It is a real pain in the neck because every V1 device I replace with Insteon requires me to change the local ramp rate back down to something reasonable. Not too bad with dimmer switches but truly unpleasant with LampLincs.

Was there a technical reason to go with the fast default ramp rate for Insteon? Or was this just a marketing decision to make the module response look more "instant"?

I need fixture modules and an Insteon IOLinc before I can use Insteon. And controlled outlets.

Until then, UPB is the only thing that I can use.

What is the timeframe in which I can expect those items?

Elcano - we have discussed moving forward with more common names for our products - hence ICON Dimmer Switch, ICON On/Off Switch etc. Stay tuned for more.

Wish list has been noted and passed to the appropriate people.

Mike - all Insteon-enabled products are priority :) As you can guess, we can modify our existing product designs (old Toggle Switches) faster than starting from scratch (RF remotes - Fixture modules). Product development takes its own time.

All Insteon-enable products ramp at the default rate of 0.1. You are correct that this was a decision related to instant-on.

MarkThomas - We are working hard at producing Insteon-enabled products, however we are also looking to our partners to develop these as well. At this time I do not have a timeline, however I will pass your requests along.

Now if we could only get a hold of someone @ SmartHome who wants to be a guestspeaker during one of our chats, for Q&A, people would be really excited :)

SmartLabsMike said:
All Insteon-enable products ramp at the default rate of 0.1. You are correct that this was a decision related to instant-on.
My problem comes when I install a SwitchLinc (with no load) to control a set of LampLincs and I want to change the ramp-rate. I have to go ahead and link the LampLincs to the switch so I have a way to dim them which is required for setting the ramp-rate. But once the link is established the ramp rate is locked to the default that was there when the link was created.

It seems the steps would be to create the links, dim the modules, set the new ramp rate, break the links and create them fresh with the new ramp-rate. I just can't get this to work and I think I am over complicating the procedure.

Some people have suggested temporarily linking to a ControLinc or assigning temporary X-10 addresses as a way to get the ramp-rate set but I'm sure there must be a simpler method using just the LampLincs and SwitchLinc? What am I doing wrong?

SmartLabsMike said:
Mike - all Insteon-enabled products are priority :) As you can guess, we can modify our existing product designs (old Toggle Switches) faster than starting from scratch (RF remotes - Fixture modules). Product development takes its own time.
I guess that makes sense but what about the wall mount bracket for the ControLinc? Just a piece of plastic so the product development time on that shouldn't be too much longer should it? I have several ControLinc applications just waiting for the wall mount bracket to be available.

Back