One wire and ELK...

noshali

Is anyone using 1 wire devices with elk?

I am trying to get temp sensors setup but want to make sure that I can use it in ELK.

regards,

There is an upcoming access module for the M1 or EZ8 that can accept 26 bit Weigand prox readers and the Dallas iButton 1-wire devices that will include a 1-wire temperature sensor. 8 to 10 weeks away.

Ooh, I have a few of those free dallas 1-wire temp sensors, this would work with the M1? I can't wait to get my hands on that board!

will it only be temperature support (ibutton) or full ibutton support?(access control, temp, humidity ect...)

Spanky said:
There is an upcoming access module for the M1 or EZ8 that can accept 26 bit Weigand prox readers and the Dallas iButton 1-wire devices that will include a 1-wire temperature sensor. 8 to 10 weeks away.
Hi Spanky,

Will this board also support the 1-wire humidity sensor?

It the project still on track?

Cheers,

Fleetz

We have been considering adding humidity capability, but currently it is not included in the data.

Currently on track for beta testing.

I've been watching this thread and have a question.

I do not currently have any temp/humidity sensors. What do the experts here recommend, should I install sensors that connect directly to the Elk inputs, or start a 1-wire network?

The Elk Temp sensors in my opinion do not look good at all. This is why I have not installed any at my house or been able to sell any on installations. I would just wait and see what Elk comes out with.

Any idea if it would support 1-wire weather station devices such as these: http://www.aagelectronica.com/

For examply, would it be possible to connect a 1-wire rain gauge and right rules based on actual rain fall at your location?

Is there a current solution to do this? I know lots of people right rules to shut off their sprinklers ,etc based on information like this, but I have always thought it was based on the weather channel data feed rather than actual data collected at your house.

Thanks - I certainly just a newbee that is trying to learn as much as possible.

EDIT - I certainly look forward to the temp modules even if nothing else. They seem to be so small they will be mostly unnoticable, and the price is certainly much better - something like $7.50 each vs the $45 for the Elk temp sensor. It wouldn't take very many at that price difference to make up for the cost of the new board!

Toymaster458,

Thanks for the response. I have been reading up on full blown weather stations and various sensors and I will wait to see how Elk supports 1-wire.

Spanky,

I will start the squeaking for the humidity support. Anyone else in on this one? Trying to find more ways to keep my M1 busy. :rolleyes:

I'd love humidity support. I want to automate my bathroom fans to come on when the humidity hits a certain level and turn off after it is reduced to normal levels.

Now if someone would just create an odor sensor... :rolleyes:

Now if someone would just create an odor sensor...

There are always gas alarms........... :rolleyes:

I also would like to see Humidity support for use in the bathroom and also to monitor the basement in the summer.

Digger said:
Now if someone would just create an odor sensor... 

There are always gas alarms........... :D

I also would like to see Humidity support for use in the bathroom and also to monitor the basement in the summer.
Agreed, it would be great to be able to control the dehumidifier based on actual values.

On the odor sensor, then you need to have a 'poop rated fan' if I am understanding your automation needs correctly... :rolleyes:

I agree with the humidity 1-Wire I currently have an application for 7 humidity detectors they need also to read the temperature.

There are many applications where humidity is much more of an issue than temperature. Temperture is of course important but humidity can cause issues in a home and indeed commerical environmemts. There a number of good ones mentioned here adding support to a humidity sensor for the M1.

My application is monitoring areas in a house we are building in the tropics where we will not be in residence during the wet season. I already have the airconditioning control sorted via M1 however the humidity sensing is the issue. I need to make informed decisions as to when to turn air conditioning units on and off based on humidity not a comfort temperature.

If I don't dehumidify when the humid it built up to a certain level when we return are things in cupboards are green!

I would suggest that anyone that has an application/s for humidity sensors for the M1 post them here so ELK via Spanky can dimension the commercial viability and hopefully include the humidity application.

Spanky put me down for 7 humidity/temp sensor units.....the housing is around 8-9 months from needing them :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Fleetz

Back