Elk M1G X10 Troubleshooting Help

schwaggs

I have been using X10 in my home for years and have several X10 components around the house including a repeater between phases. X10 works reliably with my other controllers. I recently setup an ELK M1G with a X10 interface but I cannot get it to control anything. What is the trick?

I have been using X10 in my home for years and have several X10 components around the house including a repeater between phases. X10 works reliably with my other controllers. I recently setup an ELK M1G with a X10 interface but I cannot get it to control anything. What is the trick?

1. Are you using an X10 PSC05 interface that is not included with M1G but has to be purchased separately?

2. If you have PSC05, are you using a standard 4-wire phone cable between it and the M1G jack?

I just went through this and wasted a lot of time, and hair, :) because the diagram in the Elk installation manual is confusing. It does not clearly indicate that you need to use a phone cable that reverses the wires end-to-end.
In other words Pin 1 on RJ-11 Jack A must connect to Pin 4 on RJ-11 Jack B with remaining wires flipping likewise.
This is a standard telephone cable that connects a phone to wall plate BUT most of common cables supplied today only have two wires in them (pin 4 & 5) which is all a one line phone really needs.
The ELK M1 needs all 4 to work with the PSC05.

I'm using the TW-523 X10 interface. It's funny you mention the 4 wire cable as I thought of that an hour after posting this question. I was using a 2-wire cable but have swapped it out for a 4-wire but X10 still isn't working at all. I'm not sure if my cable has the twist you mention. Where can I get more info on that?

Thanks for the help!

I'm using the TW-523 X10 interface. It's funny you mention the 4 wire cable as I thought of that an hour after posting this question. I was using a 2-wire cable but have swapped it out for a 4-wire but X10 still isn't working at all. I'm not sure if my cable has the twist you mention. Where can I get more info on that?

Thanks for the help!

I have attached a pdf file with specs for Modular Cable Wiring. The section dealing with ISDN or POTS (Public Operated Telephone System) interface cable is what you need.
I have a network cable tester and went through a number of the cables that I have accumulated over the years.\ until I found one that was flipped end-to-end. I guess that you can also switch cables untill you find one that works
You might want to try you local Radio Shack for one.

Attachments

• Standard_4_wire_cable.pdf
    70.4 KB · Views: 77
Back