CocoonTech.com & advertising

Would you support carefully selected advertising?

• Yes, I totally understand and support this decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I don't understand why it is needed but support this decision

• No, but I would still visit this site

• No, it would convince me to stop visiting this site

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Well, CocoonTech.com has been around for a while now (quickly approaching 4 years!!), and it has been the #1 home automation site for a while now. The amount of support from both the members and the manufactures has been incredible. However, running this site isn't cheap, but it is something I accepted when I started CT, and still do.

Depending on the feedback here, I am considering including carefully selected ads in order to help with the cost of running this site, and improving it. I am still not sure if this is something I will go ahead with, even if the feedback is positive, but I think selected advertising from companies in just the HA manufacturing/sales world would benefit everyone.

I do not want the ads to be intrusive at all (sorry, no X10.com style pop-unders ;)), I am thinking maybe one on top of the page, and a smaller ad somewhere else, if there is room for it. So what do you guys think?

Well, CocoonTech.com has been around for a while now (quickly approaching 4 years!!), and it has been the #1 home automation site for a while now. The amount of support from both the members and the manufactures has been incredible. However, running this site isn't cheap, but it is something I accepted when I started CT, and still do.

Depending on the feedback here, I am considering including carefully selected ads in order to help with the cost of running this site, and improving it. I am still not sure if this is something I will go ahead with, even if the feedback is positive, but I think selected advertising from companies in just the HA manufacturing/sales world would benefit everyone.

I do not want the ads to be intrusive at all (sorry, no X10.com style pop-unders ;)), I am thinking maybe one on top of the page, and a smaller ad somewhere else, if there is room for it. So what do you guys think?

I say go for it!!!!!!

Dan, I hate ads as much as the next guy, but totally understand the reasons and support whichever path you take. I'm very thankful for what you've done here and greatly appreciate your awesome contributions to the HA community.

Also, have you considered a "donations page" to help with CT funding?

Terry

A. This site is invaluable. I support whatever action is necessary to keep it running
B. Can you really make enough in advertising to offset expenses? We get great AO, ELK, CQC, ML, HS, Hobby-board, etc support here, do you really want to start advertising their competitors?
C. What about one of the viewer-supported models? There are a couple of models that might be easier to handle:
1) "Charity Auction" model. I'd bet a license of ML or CQC would help offset costs, assuming you convince Dean or David to donate a license a year. [Don't mean to "pick" on them... just using them as a one-of-many example!] Similarly, a few pieces of hardware might quickly raise enough to offset costs.
2) A "Pay before posting" model --> essentially, requiring a small donation (e.g. $5) to become a "full" member that allows posting questions. This also tends to drive-down spam posts and newbies tend to search the archives more before "signing up," but isn't really that high that dissuade someone who was about to spend $1500 on a security system from asking a question.
3) If you'll solicate donations, I'd gladly contribute $25 to the cause. I've VERY easily saved that much time, effort, and money, sanity, etc. Perhaps you'd give me a "promotion" to "Genius Advanced Cocooner" for the effort. ;)

Yep. Looks like I voted the same as all of the others before me. ;) I too am not a fan of ads, but this site is THE BEST of its kind, and keeping it around would be worth the inconvenience of ads.

I also like the idea of a donations page. You might not get a lot out of that, but it would be worth setting up. ;)

In short I am in favor of whatever it takes to keep CT running and improving. The mods already contribute a TON of their time, their is no reason some of the cash outlay from their pockets can't be reimbursed.

With that said, I agree alot with what politics123 already said. If there are ads, I think it would be best from manufacturers, not retailers/distributors. We do get alot of great support from some key ones and I don't think it would be PC to have competitors coming an advertising, in essence 'pushing' the existing ones to advertise or perhaps get less exposure. OTOH, unadvertised specials that are killer deals and for CT'ers only from all vendors would be ok. But if 'ads' were from manufacturers, that would be generic showing of products and not getting into a sales/competitive arena.

I also think an auction idea is great. Have a manufacturer or vendor donate a product to CT. CT does an auction ala eBay and the proceeds go to CT. Someone gets hopefully a good deal on a product they want and CT gets some funding for it's expenses.

I'm also not opposed to a membership option. There are plenty of sites that do this and imho I think the info here is WAY more useful than some. $10-$20 annual membership would be reasonable. I have to pay $17.50 a year for access to an automotive site just to get detailed info on the car. And I'm lucky if I use that only a few times a year. But when I do, it pays for itself. Here, getting just one question answered can save you the membership fee alone. Maybe it could even be setup in different levels, where there is some basic free content - like maybe the Marketplace, For Sale, etc. then a Basic subscription to get you access to most of the general content, then a Premium subscription would give you maybe stuff like the How-To's, things like the wiring guide, etc. Obviously there would need to be new content in the premium area occasionally.

But I support whatever path you take...

Advertising is the best way to generate steady income. All the other suggestions are good, but (in my opinion) would not prove as a viable source of income for the long term.

Dunno about the engine running this site and the templates available, but how about an AVS-style model, where you get ads unless you're a "premium" member paying $35/year. That way the newbies see the ads, but the dues-paying folks don't.

Works great.

FWIW, I LOVE the idea of an auction to help raise funds. I would also participate in a yearly subscription to remove ads. Still like the donation page idea and I agree that loyal CT vendors should have priority ads of possible. There's a lot of great ideas coming out here. The really great thing to see is that everyone supports CT just as CT as supported us through the years (although I'll bet at least one wife would disagree with that statement). ;)

Terry

Thanks for the support guys. There are definitely very good points and ideas in the responses so far. There are some other (really cool) plans to help with the financial part in the future, without being intrusive, so I do have some options. I am also not in too much of a hurry to implement this, since I want to do this right, I just wanted to get your opinions.

As everyone else said, while I hate advertisements I understand your need to have them, since the $$$ are coming out of your pocket. Please try to keep them unobtrusive (which I'm sure you were already going to) It's nice of you to ask though. Most places would just put them all over the page.

Thanks to all the moderators for the best HA site.

As long as they don't blink or tell me to "slap the monkey (or equivalent)" or tell me I can win a new iPhone I would love to see HA advertisements.

Go for it.... simple as that... no reason we can't see a few HA related adds.... in fact they are sometimes informative.....

I can't believe someone actually voted no and said they would not come back... geez... get a clue... this is by far the best HA site out there... find one better and point it out if you can. Maybe that person can pay the bills for a few months if he doesn't want to see adds....hahaha

John

Unless you are secretly independantly wealthy, I say go for it.

This site is definitely worth it. Ads or not.

What's even better is that you took the time to ask us, a very respectable move.

I (we) feel important ;)

Thanks

Bob

Back