Whole home AV distribution with HDMI

heffneil

Does anyone know of a device similar to the Russound products that will take mutiple inputs via HDMI and distribute them throughout the house via cat 5 and converting to HDMI? Seems like it should be out there I just haven't found it. It would be good to have IR distribution as well so you could control the source devices.

Thanks!

Neil

Gefen makes a 4X4 Matrix Switch but it's not cheap and I don't know how well it handles HDCP. Liberty is also said to have a 6X6 Matrix in the works but who knows when that will be.

This is becoming a basic feature of PC based systems. In the future it will be hard for conventional components to keep up. All this technology has made huge steps recently.

I like HMDI for its convenience but really it seems like a simple switch to distribute the signal like a switch. $2000 for a box like that seems pretty expensive and not really all that good. I would prefer something that is 6X6 or at least stackable. Also if you have devices that are not HDMI I guess you are out of luck...

Neil

I like HMDI for its convenience but really it seems like a simple switch to distribute the signal like a switch. $2000 for a box like that seems pretty expensive and not really all that good. I would prefer something that is 6X6 or at least stackable. Also if you have devices that are not HDMI I guess you are out of luck...

Neil

I dislike HDMI because of HDCP but I dislike components and TVs that only work at their maximum resolution when connected via their HDMI ports (most current TVs and Blu-ray stuff) even more. What we need is a good HDMI to Component converter (and Vice-Versa) so you can use a component matrix switcher to handle both signal types. Something with an HDCP repeater/simulator circuit to keep the source device happy.

I haven't seen too much of an issue with that stuff but I am just using simple devices. I am sure it becomes more of an issue once a matrix device is in play. I just want to rip my DVD's and have the available a la inDemand by in-my-house.

Neil

I had considered RapidRun wiring products to do similar to what you were looking for - and then opted for a PC based solution (Sage). All my DVDs are ripped and watchable on every tv, as well as being able to record and distribute TV, etc.

I would strongly consider this solution... much more flexible and powerful. There is a lot of information here already or go to SageTv.com

I wasn't clear I want to be able to Rip DVD's and then distribute among all of the TV's in my home.

I assumed HDMI since its simple and clean and a single cable.

How did the user with Sage get that working with all his TV's? Also can multiple people watch multiple ripped DVDs?

Thanks!

Neil

I just use a regular RGBHV matrix switcher, IN3808, to distribute ripped DVDs to all my TVs via component cable. I think working with component is easier than HDMI.

I wasn't clear I want to be able to Rip DVD's and then distribute among all of the TV's in my home.

I assumed HDMI since its simple and clean and a single cable.

How did the user with Sage get that working with all his TV's? Also can multiple people watch multiple ripped DVDs?

Thanks!

Neil

You need 5 cables vs 1 and you think that's easier? I don't to really flame back and forth or anything but I don't see the logic in that....

Has anyone tried the media extenders from sage? the HD version is sold out and who knows when they will have more...

Neil

Another thing that I think gets people confused is the HDMI = HDCP thing, this is simply not true. HDCP will depend on your source, HDMI is mearly DVI video and SPDIF audio in a single cable.

I too use SageTV but I don't rip the disks, I encode from a megachanger.
I also use AnyDVD to play disks directly from the drive to the client, this covers DVD, HD-DVD and Blu Ray.

I also use PCs for HD clients and the MVPs for SD clients, both need only a Cat5 cable. The PC client is limited by your knowledge/imagination and the MVP has the same GUI found on the server/clients. I like PCs for HD as they allow for web surfing while watching, also they provide for a local disk drive and more options when it comes to remote controls. The HD extender should be more stable and consumes much less power.

Yeah I don't want to station a PC with each TV. Thats expensive from the beginning and on top of it it does consume an enourmous amount of power. What type of a remote are you using with your PC? I was originally looking at Main Lobby and DVD Lobby.

Neil

Back