Setting Up Insteon USB PLC

I have the USB PowerLinc and am trying to setup Premise to use it. I have added the CustomDevice Insteon Network. But I don't see how to Add the PLC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
======================
Hi,

The module you are trying to use doesn't support the USB version of the PLC. If you go to the files area of the PremiseSYSCommunity Yahoo group, you'll see a new "driver" that should work with the USB version of the PLC. It's a very different architecture than the module you are now trying to use, so take a look at the version history for installation instructions.

Good Luck,
-John
======================
I am using the Insteon Mini-Broker driver. I have imported the InsteonMiniBrokerDriver.xdo. The Insteon service is running.

A couple of questions:
Where do I find the Smartlabs SDM V1.101.122.278?
How do I tell if the timercoreapp12 is installed on the PLC?
======================
I have also noticed that the Premise Insteon service errors with
this message:
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception was unhandled
Message="The event log file is full"
Source="System"
ErrorCode=-2147467259
NativeErrorCode=1502
StackTrace:
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.InternalWriteEvent(UInt32 eventID, UInt16 category, EventLogEntryType type, String[] strings, Byte[] rawData, String currentMachineName)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String source, String message, EventLogEntryType type, Int32 eventID, Int16 category, Byte[] rawData)
at System.Diagnostics.EventLog.WriteEntry(String source, String message, EventLogEntryType type)
at Premise_Insteon_Driver_Service.InsteonDriver.InsteonServer() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
======================
I haven't seen this one before, but it looks like your application log is full. If you open the windows event viewer you can clear out the event logs.
======================
The SDM should have been in the zip file. It's a self-installing exe.

Once you install the SDM, start it. You should see a little "T" in the system tray.

Click on that.

Make sure the SDM window has focus and type dm. A input text-box should appear.

Type port=? in the text box and click send. The SDM should find your PLC. Write-down the name of the port the PLC is connected to.

You can download the coreapp in two ways. While you are in the SDM, you can type dl=insteon.net:timercoreapp12 and click send. The other way is to do it from within builder. There is a download core app property under Insteon Root that you can click to start the download process.

Once you are done with the SDM, type exitdm. The SDM should exit.

Uninstall the Insteon driver in Add/Remove programs.

Reinstall the driver. When asked for the PLC port, type in the name of the port you wrote down before.

Start the driver and everything should fire up properly (assuming you gave it the proper servername and logon credentials).

Good Luck,
-John
======================
Thank you John.

Premise now sees it. But when I do a "detect" I get an error:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: PremiseInsteon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 12/14/2006
Time: 10:55:43 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXXXXXX
Description:
clsInsteonNetwork - problem communicating with SDM Access violation
at address 005FB33C in module 'SDM3.exe'. Read of address 00000000

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I appreciate all the help.
======================
Hmmm. There should be several other events right after the insteon service
starts up. Would you send them to me.

In the meantime, try this:

Shutdown the insteon service
Wait 30 seconds
Go into task manager under processes (if you only see a small number of processes you need to log in as an administrator)
If you see sdm3.exe as a process, something got hosed with the SDM and it didn't properly shutdown. Terminate that process. It should disappear from the list.
Start the insteon service and send me the event log entries.

This access violation is usually caused by the SDM not properly shutting down.
The procedure I just outlined should clear things up.

Incidentally, the 'detect' function will only populate devices in premise already linked to the PLC. You will need to manually link your devices. The 'link mode' property puts the plc into link mode as a convenience. You still need to push buttons on the other insteon devices to link them with the plc.

Good luck

John

Back