Premise Minibroker with vs2008

Motorola Premise

mdonovan

I wondered if anyone is using VS.Net 2008 (specifically vb.net) with the minibroker. I am getting COM errors when trying to use the .Connect method. Here is a code snippet:

Private miniBroker As ISYSMiniBroker = New SYSMiniBrokerClass
Private root As IRemotePremiseObject

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
root = miniBroker.Connect("LocalHost", "", "")
PremiseObjectTree.Nodes.Add(New TreeNode(root.DisplayName))
End Sub

I am using a tutorial I found here: http://www.satter.org/premise/

This line: root = miniBroker.Connect("LocalHost", "", "") causes an ambiguous COM error.

Has anyone had any luck with using the minibroker nd vs.net 2008?

Matt

I am not a programmer so take this with a grain of salt. But according to the Motorola/Premise Site...

Version 2.1
Published: 01/19/2006
Compatible with Visual Studio 2005 only

Download HSDK 2.1 (16.3MB)
New changes in Version 2.1

Version 1.0
Published: 04/11/2004
Compatible with Visual C++ 6.0, Visual Studio .NET 2002, Visual Studio .NET 2003

Download HSDK 1.0 (29.4MB)

I fought with this for a while, then I decided to uninstall & reinstall Premise. After I did that, it now works. I loaded up the vbconnect sample from the minibroker sample code, and that runs fine in vs.net 2008, targeting the 3.5 framework.

In case anyone's interested

Matt

An SDK that is compatible with Visual Studio 2005 with no mention of Visual Studio 2008 doesn't mean it's not compatible with Visual Studio 2008.

I can say the same for Visual C++ 6.0, but then you'll have to upgrade the project to Visual Studio 2003, 2005, or 2008, depending on what you're using. However, VB6 to VB.net is very similar, but there are some differences in syntax. Visit .NET Journal: Converting VB6 to VB.NET, Part I for more information.

Agreed, especially since the .Net frameworks version 3.x are really the version 2.0 framework plus additions. I expected it to work with vs2008, but apparently something somewhere got hosed up when I installed Premise.

Matt

Back