Premise Data Logging?

Motorola Premise

lazyone

Does Premise offer device based data logging? I would like to be able to log by time interval (temperature/energy) or by a changed state (security sensors). Ideally, the logging data would end up in a database of some sort.

Thanks,
lz

If you plan to develop a data-logging tool may I suggest you forego dumping the data into a traditional relational database and consider using RRDTool (RRD=Round Robin Database).

Described as "high performance data logging and graphing system for time series data" it is optimized for handling reams of data. RRD can do something natively that'd be a lot trickier with a table-oriented database. It is described here but in a nutshell:

RRD uses circular buffers. You can define a buffer that holds 60 elements where each one is a reading taken at a one second interval. After 60 seconds pass, the buffer begns to be overwritten with new data.

I hear you say, "Hold on there! That means I just lost visibility of the last 60 seconds!". True enough, but you rarely use a single buffer. You make one to hold Seconds, another for Minutes, yet another for Hours (and Days, Months, Years, Decades, etc). When the Seconds buffer is about to overwrite itself, it dumps its latest reading into the Minutes buffer ... when the Minutes buffer is about to overwrite itself it dumps its latest reading to the Hours buffer (i.e. a cascade effect). In this scenario, you have second-by-second visibility for the last minute, minute-by-minute visibility for the last hour, hour-by-hour visibility for the last day ... you get the idea.

RRD was designed to store gobs of data in a practical fashion. It was derived from Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG), a utility designed to display traffic handled by a router (and that's a lot of data).

Back