10.4" touchscreen found @ EHX

IVB

Larry & I found this 10.4" touchscreen @EHX. Martin is looking into pricing, should be <$1K street including flushmount wall kit.

The neat thing I thought was a video a/b switch at the bottom. This means I could send both a VGA signal via a PC, and a composite signal via my AverMedia multiplexer, for truly instant retrieval of the CCTV pictures. That retreival speed is currently my wife's #1 issue with the kitchen touchpad - it takes perhaps 5-7s to pull it up, which is far too long if someone is pounding away at the front door.

I'm definitely leaning towards getting one based on the price.

Isn't it possible to control the screen output based on triggers with CQC? Why not always bring up the CCTV when there's motion at the front door?

Calrad is the company that bought/whatever Xlobby. It is also the company that decided not to sell Xlobby to the little guy anymore. They had a short run of selling the Beta XL to some people but AFAIK that ended November 1. :lol:

That monitor in particular was a subject of a little controversy on the XL board a while back. It seems as though it may be the same or similar to the 10.4 Lilliput monitor sold on ebay for about 1/4 the price... Here's an example of an ebay Lilliput, decide for yourself.

Terry

Isn't it possible to control the screen output based on triggers with CQC? Why not always bring up the CCTV when there's motion at the front door?

Oh, is that possible now? I have to admit that I haven't followed the CQC enhancement details after V2.1 (in May), given that 2.3 is about to go into beta I guess I should. I suppose that's the downside of rapid progress - too much new stuff to take care of.

That would eliminate my big driver for buying one of these, thanks!

Wow! $80 for shipping from Hong Kong?

Here are some more Lilliputs on ebay.

Agreed, I noticed that too. Even with crazy shipping though, it's still A LOT cheaper than the reported price of $1350 from Calrad.

I've been thinking about getting one of these to test (the ebay version, not Calrad's) as I do like the look and 10.4" seems like a good multi-purpose size.

Terry

Oh, is that possible now? I have to admit that I haven't followed the CQC enhancement details after V2.1 (in May), given that 2.3 is about to go into beta I guess I should. I suppose that's the downside of rapid progress - too much new stuff to take care of.

That would eliminate my big driver for buying one of these, thanks!

Well, don't quote me... B) I haven't gotten that far yet, but I thought it was "out-of-the-box" functionality, and certainly something that I'd be looking for in an interface!

Hey IVB,
If you're looking for a touchscreen, I'd recommend something higher quality like a Xenarc. Check out my site here:
http://sbmperformance.com/product_info.php...oducts_id=94840

That one is 10.2" with two RCA inputs. We also have 10.4" screens, but I don't believe those have RCA input. Price for the one linked above is $569.00. I could probably offer a discount to anyone interested in buying any screens from sbmperformance.com. Just an FYI, typically the higher quality panels like the Xenarcs will auto-switch the input to RCA when activated.

We use these all the time in the CarPC market. For instance we mount a 7 inch Xenarc screen in the car's dash. Hook the VGA up to a carputer and the RCA to a rear view camera. When you switch into reverse, the camera powers up and the screen auto-switches to the RCA video feed. When you switch into drive, the camera power is cut and the screen switches back. You can work around this obviously if you want contant-on video feeds, but I thought I would throw that out there in case you guys didn't know about it.

Hey IVB,
If you're looking for a touchscreen, I'd recommend something higher quality like a Xenarc. Check out my site here:
http://sbmperformance.com/product_info.php...oducts_id=94840

That one is 10.2" with two RCA inputs. We also have 10.4" screens, but I don't believe those have RCA input. Price for the one linked above is $569.00. I could probably offer a discount to anyone interested in buying any screens from sbmperformance.com. Just an FYI, typically the higher quality panels like the Xenarcs will auto-switch the input to RCA when activated.

We use these all the time in the CarPC market. For instance we mount a 7 inch Xenarc screen in the car's dash. Hook the VGA up to a carputer and the RCA to a rear view camera. When you switch into reverse, the camera powers up and the screen auto-switches to the RCA video feed. When you switch into drive, the camera power is cut and the screen switches back. You can work around this obviously if you want contant-on video feeds, but I thought I would throw that out there in case you guys didn't know about it.

Some Xenarc models have LED backlighting and 5-wire touch screens... can you provide any insight as to how important these features are? Is it worth the extra cost to go with those models?

Notwithstanding a perhaps better display panel, the desktop stand on the original post is much nicer than the Xenarc.

Notwithstanding a perhaps better display panel, the desktop stand on the original post is much nicer than the Xenarc.

Yes but double the price nicer?

I am also curious about Xenarc fanless car PCs like the CP-ID8. Anybody seen/used one of these?

Yes but double the price nicer?
Well, was not really looking at price, just commenting on the design. I played with the Calrad one and it was very stable because of its wide base and tilting abilities, which make it perfect for a nightstand. I would be afraid the 'typical' stand on the Xenarc would 'fall backward' when pressing on the screen. If the Lilliput is in fact the same design as the Calrad, then the price point is moot, even makes it less than the Xenarc. Of course then you perhaps could make a quality argument.

Well, was not really looking at price, just commenting on the design. I played with the Calrad one and it was very stable because of its wide base and tilting abilities, which make it perfect for a nightstand. I would be afraid the 'typical' stand on the Xenarc would 'fall backward' when pressing on the screen. If the Lilliput is in fact the same design as the Calrad, then the price point is moot, even makes it less than the Xenarc. Of course then you perhaps could make a quality argument.

That is a good point. If the Xenarc stuff is meant to be bolted to the dash then it might not be stable just sitting on a table. Still, looking at the Xenarc site I kind of like their stuff. Their touch screens are USB so I assume you could run more than one off of the same PC? I'm thinking of one of their fanless PCs running Elk RM, Homerunner, HSTouch, MainLobby, or whatever. Add a USB hub, VGA splitter, and 4 screens, and you have a fanless touch screen system that is much cheaper then 4 TS07s etc. (Not to mention that TS07s are not available in a tabletop form factor).

You are the man! Schawing, the wife has a new favorite feature for CQC - it now automatically wakes up the kitchen touchpanel and displays the camera screen if the doorbell rings!

I had forgotten about this when she told me a week ago when I was mounting that new camera that "do we need more? We don't really use the ones we have b/c it takes too long to wake up the touchpanel and load the screen".

Well, we had my daughter's bday party today, and had 14 screaming 6 year old girls and 2 screaming 6 year old boys over. I needed some quiet time after they all left, so I decided to poke around and see how to do this. I'm embarassed to say that it was ludicrously easy - I hadn't actually paid that much attention to the various CQC upgrades after V2.0, here's all I had to do:

1) Disable the screen-saver in XP
2) Add an "auto-blank-after-60seconds" to the OnLoad command for my main kitchen template. (This goes in the OnLoad section of my 'Wrapper_Touchscreen' template for those of you using my screens)
IntfViewer::SetBlankOpts(60000)

3) Add a "CQC Interface Viewer" driver to be able to remotely control an IV. I called it 'kitchen-IV', which I mention b/c you'll need to know that for the next step.

4) Add a 2nd action to my doorbell trigger (it's hooked up to the Elk) to actually load the overlay. (For those of you using my stuff, the name of my overlay widget in the "Wrapper_Touchscreen" template is "Main_Overlay".)

Devices::FieldWrite (kitchen-IV.LoadOverlay, Main_Overlay, \User\Overlay_Camera)

Thanks again for giving me the idea to do this fully within CQC - just saved me $1K!

Back