12" Touch Screen

JohnBullard

I know many of you have seen the discussion on the HS Touch Screen forum.

I ordered two of these today:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/MON10121.html

Will it work with Main Lobby?

BTW, didn't BSR do a "How To" on Main Lobby back BC? I can't find it (maybe I don't know how to properly use the "search" function)

I don't have Main Lobby yet, but was thinking it would be a good project for this winter.

With the driver loaded, the touchscreen should work like a mouse. Touching the screen will be like clicking the mouse at that location. Anything that works with a mouse should work.

I also have one of these monitors, but I still haven't gotten around to loading the driver. I'm using it on a machine with a remote control and wireless keyboard so I don't need to walk over to the monitor. I will get around to it eventually.

Yes, it should work with MainLobby. With Mainlobby you can change the screen resolution and build your scenes with a small display in mind. You will have fewer larger buttons than on a large screen.

BSRs how to MainLobby is now part of the formal documentation which is downloaded with the MLHSPlugin in the Homeseer updater. He did a nice job on the docs.

Thanks Smee and David.

And a great big WHOOPEE to BSR!!!! Hope he doesn't get the big head now ;)

Seriously, that's great. Congrats to BSR.

Well, after doing some research I finally caved in and ordered one.

Thanks for the heads up on this deal!

Let me know how they work for ya. I assume it is serial for the touch screen? Very interested in a few at that price. Might have to sell a limb to get a few but, eh, they grow back.

Spam said:
Let me know how they work for ya. I assume it is serial for the touch screen? Very interested in a few at that price. Might have to sell a limb to get a few but, eh, they grow back.
Touchscreen is serial.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any difference as far as USB touch screens and serial? I cna't imagine that much data really gets sent.

I thought that the connection type WAS important. USB can only be extended 15 ft. without extra hardware (ie. hub) whereas a serial cable can be of significant length... No?

well, yes, that is true - thought the question was more of touchscreen data. Serial does have longer reach. But, the VGA portion has length limitations too. Probably longer than USB though. But the cabling gets expensive at long lenghts.

Treetop said:
I thought that the connection type WAS important. USB can only be extended 15 ft. without extra hardware (ie. hub) whereas a serial cable can be of significant length... No?
That's what the spec says, but in practice I've used a USB device on 36 feet of line (6' on original device plus two 15' extensions). I had absolutely zero performance problems... It was a low-bandwidth device (an IR receiver for a snapstream remote) but it worked flawlessly.
DavidL said:
But, the VGA portion has length limitations too. Probably longer than USB though. But the cabling gets expensive at long lenghts.
I've run a DVI connection 30 feet without any problems using the cheapest DVI cable I could find (cost me $30 I think). I'm not sure if a VGA can be run longer or shorter than DVI, though.

As far as inexpensive cables go, try jaemco ( http://www.jameco.com ) they sell components for really low prices.

I've seen VGA extension cables go up to 200ft. Used with KVM products, like on the TechTV set (they showed their behind the scenes set-up once)

Here's one I found for a decent price..
Super VGA HD15 , Coaxial ,M/F 100 ft. w/ Ferrites Black $40.00

I'm currently using a 10ft VGA extension (total of 16ft), which allows me to move the monitor around the entire livingroom, even into the bathroom :D
yep..small townhouse

Well the screen finally made it to my doorstep. First impressions are good. The unit is in better shape than anticipated, but I was no so lucky as to escape the "yellow-tinge" that affects the whites.

Took me about 15 minutes of wrestling with hyperterminal, as i had never used this before, but was up in running in no time (relative to how long it takes me to do most things).

Now, where to put this sucka... Thinking about the kitchen, as If we're in the livingroom I have other tools to control things. Plus, when we entertain, we almost always find ourselves hanging out there. Also, Meedio (if I go this route) has a recipe plug-in that may help justify this idea to the fiance...

http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...ighlight=recipe

ScreenShot

Just throwing around some ideas in my head...

Back