18/4 wire comparison :)

The higher priced one(at automated outlet) is plenum rated. This means it can be run through HVAC ducts. Having something plenum rated makes the price sky rocket. That is why the price is so different. Do not get anything that is plenum rated as you do not need it.

Martin probably has 18/4 non-plenum if you look around.

ph0n33z said:
The higher priced one(at automated outlet) is plenum rated. This means it can be run through HVAC ducts. Having something plenum rated makes the price sky rocket. That is why the price is so different. Do not get anything that is plenum rated as you do not need it.

Martin probably has 18/4 non-plenum if you look around.
Thanks ph0n33z.

So guys, what is your comment on plenum for my new house construction. I have no idea what this is. :)

You only need plenum rated wire when you are running it THROUGH OVERHEAD DUCTWORK. If it is not, you do not need to buy it. That is the only reason to get it.

ph0n33z said:
You only need plenum rated wire when you are running it THROUGH OVERHEAD DUCTWORK. If it is not, you do not need to buy it. That is the only reason to get it.
Ok, I'm having a hard time finding Martin's handle. I know it's somewhat Automated.....I'll contact him.

Thanks,

Ronneil

ph0n33z said:
AutomatedOutlet
I spoke to a different person since Martin is not feeling well today. He told me that they don't know of any supplier that carries 18/4 no plenum. :)

Anyways, I'll decide tonight on where to buy.

FYI . . .

. . . I have been in the HVAC sheet metal business for 20+ years and have never seen wire run inside of ductwork . . .

. . . most office buildings use the ceiling space (between a drop ceiling and the bottom of the floor above) as a return air plenum, this is were plenum rated wire is used . . .

. . . "plenum rated" mostly has to do with smoke (and its toxicity) developed from the insulation burning if there is a fire . . .

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

ph0n33z said:
Have you tried lowes or home depot?
I went to Home Depot today and found the 18/4 wires. However, they are NOT color red. Can HD's 18/4 be used for smoke sensor, motion sensor, water sensor, etc? It says on the tag, 18/4 for security. And also, I was told that 18/4 should be fire rated. Don't know if the one in home depot is fire rated.

1 vote for solid.

Any reasoning? I guess it won't be moved at all - no need for stranded.

Any drawbacks for stranded?

Back