19" Rack Mount for Elk

Has anyone mounted an Elk in a 19" rack enclosure instead of wall mount? I have some extra space on my rack and thought I could get a cleaner install by putting the Elk in the rack as well.

Bad idea?

I am not sure that this can be done, but I will leave that to the experts.

I was wondering if you could post some pictures of your rack and server room. I am desiging mine, and would love to see yours to get ideas.

Thanks!

Mount plywood in the pull out rack and screw the M1 board directly to the plywood. Screw down any other modules you have to the plywood also. It should work fine.

I have my M1 mounted on a piece of verticle plywood on a wall in my house. It is alot easier to wire and mount all the add on modules.

Spanky said:
Mount plywood in the pull out rack and screw the M1 board directly to the plywood. Screw down any other modules you have to the plywood also. It should work fine.

I have my M1 mounted on a piece of verticle plywood on a wall in my house. It is alot easier to wire and mount all the add on modules.
So you do not even own a can for the elk spanky?

Are there any drawbacks in going with the canless method?

ph0n33z,

Right now, my rack is a mess. I have pulled most of my network wires, but not terminated them. I will post pictures as soon as the rack is presentable.

I have my M1 mounted in a 19" rack system,I,m working in that now,move all the components from a 14"in wall box enclosure and mounted in a rack syst I custom made from a aluminum piece,also I mount some M1 modules and all my leviton stuff,I dont include pictures because I think you don want to see an unfinished rack.
excuse me my poor redaction!

RAKY: I would still like to see your "unfinised" rack as I am wondering if rack mounting everything would be the best option for me.

We do not mind unfinished or sloppy wiring pictures! We like to see them all! hehe

phOn33Z:
The obvious drawback to the metal canless mounting method is less security for the burglar alarm system. ie. easier for a burglar to get to the security system and disable it, but in my case it is hidden and locked away in a protected closet.

When you do any of this DIY mounting, the UL listing is no longer valid.

Operation of the M1 is no problem.

Thanks for that info Spanky. I suppose it would still be best to mount the ELK in a can. I can still mount that can on plywood, to make things easier.

Back