2 X-10 remotes, what's the difference?

Micah

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in HTPC but it's an X-10 remote, but whatchya' gonna do.

I'm looking to pickup an RF remote that can control my Home Theater as well as my X-10 lighting.

I've run across two models at AutomatedOutlet that fit that bill (I think). As they're both listed in the RF section I assume they're RF with an RF receiver, even though they're not shown.

The two remotes are the UR73A and the UR74A.

Besides the price difference, I can't tell what makes one remote better than the other.

Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?

I would either get the UR74A, for the reasons mentioned above, or get the RadioShack 15-2117 remote, which supports X10 through IR (so you would have to pick up one of these), but the 15-2117 remote supports JP1 programming, so you can hook it up to your PC to make changes). The 15-2117 also comes with a RF repeater, so you can control your equipment from another room, but if you don't want that, then I believe you want to pick up the 15-2116 (I believe that's the part #, not sure tho).

electron said:
The 15-2117 also comes with a RF repeater, so you can control your equipment from another room, but if you don't want that, then I believe you want to pick up the 15-2116 (I believe that's the part #, not sure tho).
15-2116 is correct for the non-RF version.

I tried to find the 15-2117 on RadioShack's webpage but it's not there, only the manuals. Anybody know if it's still a continued item?

Oh, and I just noticed there's a remotes forum. Dunno how I managed to miss that. Oops.

Micah said:
I tried to find the 15-2117 on RadioShack's webpage but it's not there, only the manuals. Anybody know if it's still a continued item?
It was actually discontinued a while back. They are pretty difficult to find these days because a lot of people started picking them up when the price went down. Your best bet is to try calling local Radio Shacks to see if they have any left. If they do, they should probably be $25 or less (I think they listed at $50 or so).

If you really want one, I think the guy that runs www.hifi-remote.com normally has them available. But it looks like he is out of them, now. You can check this link:
hifi-remote forums - remotes for sale

I'm using one of the 2117s (I really like these and the 2116, which is similar but with no RF). However, I am not able to use the RF part. Something is generating enough RF noise that the receiver is constantly receiving something and spitting out IR - flooding the room with random IR.

I picked mine up for $30 (for some reaon, it was the same price as the non-rf model), but I am not longer using RF either, for the same noise reasons. I guess you might as well look for the 15-2116, the batteries probably last longer as it doesn't have to send our a RF signal every time. The 15-2117 was not on display (the 15-2116 was), I actually had to ask for it, they were hiding them behind the counter, so definitely call your local RS and find out.

Back