200mbps over powerline!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
LAS VEGAS --(Business Wire)-- Jan. 7, 2005 Corinex Communications Corp. and DS2 are proud to announce the immediate availability of the Powerline industry's first solution for distributing ultra high-speed signals over the existing electrical wiring in a building. The Corinex AV Powerline Ethernet adapter offers an amazing throughput of up to 200Mbps, ample bandwidth for streaming multiple high quality video signals, while simultaneously delivering high-speed Internet access throughout an entire premise.

The Corinex AV Powerline Ethernet adapter supports 802.1Q VLAN and Optimized VLANs extensions, which together with a powerful DES/3DES encryption, ensures reliable security. QoS is implemented with 8 service levels that are fully programmable to support any priority classification system like 802.1P tags, IP TOS coding (IPv4 or IPv6) or TCP source/destination ports. The adapter uses an advanced high performance hybrid TDMA/CSMA Audio Visual MAC and has a built-in level 2 bridge optimized for meshed/ad-hoc powerline networks. All this makes the Corinex AV Powerline Ethernet adapter ideally suited for in-home integrated services networking including computer, video and audio applications, whether in single homes, residential areas, or multiple dwelling units in urban areas

The Corinex AV Powerline Ethernet adapter complies with the UPA (Universal Powerline Association) standard. Corinex Communications, the leader in CPE HomePlug powerline networking with 48% market share as per In-Stat/MDR, and DS2, the leading powerline chip manufacturer in the world, are founding members of the UPA, an organization which already boasts an impressive membership of some of the worlds most significant powerline players including Ambient, Ascom, Itochu, Schneider Electric, Sumitomo, and Toyocom.

DS2's new low frequency chipset (1-30 MHz) allows the Corinex AV Powerline Ethernet adapter to propagate signals up to 300m (or much more if the product is set to function as a repeater or used over coaxial cable networks) unlike other high frequency chipsets (using 750 MHz and above) which limit reachable distances to less than 100m. Similar high frequency distance limitations are well known from the wireless world where 5.4GHz 802.11a products deliver coverage over much shorter distances than that of lower frequency 2.4GHz 802.11b/g products.

Corinex's initial AV Powerline product features DS2's DSS9000 series chipsets offering speeds that support professional quality video distribution. Future Corinex products will include an AV Powerline Gateway, Repeater, and Router, which together with the Corinex AV Powerline Ethernet adapter will enable video distribution in MDU's (Multi Dwelling Units).

The Corinex AV Powerline Ethernet adapter, together with the AV Phoneline and AV CableLAN, form the most extensive solution set to support the triple play of video, voice, and data over electrical wires, coaxial cables, and phone lines. Leading operators in North America and Europe are ready to test the product.

Corinex AV products based on DS2 chipsets are available today; contact Corinex directly for information on resellers and distributors in your area. Visit DS2 and Corinex at the Innovations Plus - IP584/IP585 booth at CES in Las Vegas on January 6-9, 2005 to view Corinex AV Powerline products and DS2 chipsets!

I saw a company at CES yesterday that had this, but I believe it was a different vendor. Their 200 mb product for the powerlines was not going to be available till next year though. I have some pics and literature I will be getting up soon.

Skibum said:
How do they do 1-30 Mhz without interference?
Don't know Ski, but I asked a vendor how they keep this "noise immune" and they just stated they do not have a problem with noise or interference (no details) as I was wondering the same thing.

I'm not too keen on freq's and such, but what else operates between 1 & 30 Mhz that could possibley interefere? Is that where TV/Radio or something else is?

they just stated they do not have a problem with noise or interference
Oh boy, here we go again. ;)

The question remains, is this a scientific fact or (more likely) marketing hope.

John,

Between 1 and 30 mhz is all kinds of radio communications. 1 mhz is 1000 khz in the AM radio band, followed by all kinds of Ham radio, Goverment, Military, and International Shortwave broadcasts. And don't forget the 27Mhz CB radio band.

The ham radio community is very concerned with powerline "signal leakage", that would cause interference to receiving locations. A powerline could be a huge transmitting antenna!

Users would probably be concerned with a shortwave transmitter being coupled onto the powerline and messing up their ethernet communications.

While the article mentioned powerline ethernet within a building, many power companies are trying to get on the broadband internet distribution bandwagon, using their existing powerlines into homes. This is what has the amatuer radio community concerned.

Excellent point John.

One of the advantages of Cocoontech is the broad knowledge of its members. I'm glad we have a "Ham" guy who can give his perspective with this expertise!

lol, Thanks BSR,

Don't know about the "expertise", though. Just my understanding of this technology. I'm sure someone else could chime in with more information.

I learn a whole lot more from all the members of this board.

the device uses OFDM technology, the same as wireless. When there is noise on the line it will switch to another frequency from 1 to 30 mhz. The performanc is good. Another spec not well known is that there is less than 1 ms jitter. Jitter is what causes pixelation and freezing in a video signal. With 200 mbps and less than 1 ms jitter, you can stream HDTV signals in-premise.

Wow, thanks for that update. How do you know so much about this stuff? Do you have one of these units?

Again, welcome to Cocontech and thanks for the very informative post.

When there is noise on the line it will switch to another frequency from 1 to 30 mhz.

I'm not worried about noise ON the line. It's the noise the line is giving OFF that is of concern.

ham radio frequencies attenuate very quickly in air. i think all you need is to be 1 or 2 meters away from a signal for it NOT to be affected. what i mean is that if i am a ham radio operator and my neighbor has powerline all that is needed is for my neighbor's house to be more than 1 meter apart and there should be no interference. already there are many 100's of 1000's of cable tv users right now operating their tv networks at these very same frequencies with no problems. it's all good. 1 meter is around 3 feet for you yanks.

Back