3 and 4 way switch replacments for Fluorescent lighting

teststrips

I have a few X10 devices, but am willing to switch to one of the other protocols.

My biggest requirement is that the switches default to the middle position.. so pushing up ALWAYS turns on the light, and pushing down ALWAYS turns off the lights... Traditional switches get backwards in a 3-way setup all the time... which is really annoying to me.... I see a few switches such as http://www.activehomepro.com/accessories/a...itch_ws13a.html and http://xponenta.com/cgi/shop.cgi?page_type...&sku=2466SI and the ones here http://store.homeseer.com/store/Relay-Wall-Switches-C43.aspx

No one seems to describe the way the switches actually work... several look as though they default to the center... but I have not found a description that tells me what I want.... I'm posting here because I'm guessing many of you have these or a similar switch + can verify at a low level how the switches operate. Thanks

UPB switches generally rest in the middle. From there you can single tap, double tap, or hold both up and down sides.

IMHO, all automation switches should be spring loaded momentary. So you can press up & down as you logically expect to turn it on & off. The downside of them being momentary is that you lose visual feedback of the light status, but you never have that on a 3way circuit anyway. Insteon, UPB and the older SmartHome X-10 switches worked this way.

Sorry to be a pain, but anyone have a specific brand/model that works this way?

I'm seeing a UPB model - http://www.hometech.com/modules/upb.html#HO-40A001 - master switch about $80 with Slave switches at $30 - can you verify these are momentary switches?

Anything cheaper, or is this a typical expected price? Also suggestions on traditional looking flip switches would be helpful... as we have some nifty wall plates that my wife will want to keep.

Sorry to be a pain, but anyone have a specific brand/model that works this way?

I'm seeing a UPB model - http://www.hometech.com/modules/upb.html#HO-40A001 - master switch about $80 with Slave switches at $30 - can you verify these are momentary switches?

Anything cheaper, or is this a typical expected price? Also suggestions on traditional looking flip switches would be helpful... as we have some nifty wall plates that my wife will want to keep.

I use PCS and Simply Automated and they both work this way. The UPB relay rocker switch, no dimming, is new but it should also be a momentary switch. I think those prices are typical. I have only seen UPB in Decora style.

Also suggestions on traditional looking flip switches would be helpful... as we have some nifty wall plates that my wife will want to keep.
Insteon and the older SmartHome X-10 are available in ToggleLinc models. They are essentially spring loaded toggle switches and normally rest in the center, like the Decoras. I haven't heard of UPB or Z-wave offering anything toggles, but I am not in the market for toggle myself, so I don't pay attention to that.

http://www.smarthome.com/2466dw.html

Also suggestions on traditional looking flip switches would be helpful... as we have some nifty wall plates that my wife will want to keep.
Insteon and the older SmartHome X-10 are available in ToggleLinc models. They are essentially spring loaded toggle switches and normally rest in the center, like the Decoras. I haven't heard of UPB or Z-wave offering anything toggles, but I am not in the market for toggle myself, so I don't pay attention to that.

http://www.smarthome.com/2466dw.html

I read in another forum that the Insteon togglelincs have a bug. After a power outage they come back in the "on" state and not the last state before the outage. Check the SH Forum under Insteon for more information if this is a concern to you.

I read in another forum that the Insteon togglelincs have a bug. After a power outage they come back in the "on" state and not the last state before the outage. Check the SH Forum under Insteon for more information if this is a concern to you.

I don't have any Togglelincs myself, but I believe this applies to relays and not dimmers. However, the original poster wants these for flourescents, so I guess he needs relays.

Someone on the forum said a SmartHome rep mentioned they are about to test an updated model to fix this issue, but who knows how long it will take before it ships.

I don't have any Togglelincs myself, but I believe this applies to relays and not dimmers. However, the original poster wants these for flourescents, so I guess he needs relays.

Someone on the forum said a SmartHome rep mentioned they are about to test an updated model to fix this issue, but who knows how long it will take before it ships.

From SH Forum

Ok, I got some potentially good news out of SmartHome support person yesterday. After some discussion with this support person, he was good enough to do some digging into the current status of the situation and replied to me that they are indeed working on the issue and that they're about to go to Beta with a new version of the switches.

Now he wasn't specific as to when the Beta testing would start and could just be blowing smoke, but I'm hopeful that he's not and that the new versions would be available soon. Perhaps I'm too hopeful as I'm sitting on 7 of these things, 6 of them installed.

For me, I've found the units work quite well, save this on on power fail issue.

So MAYBE a fix soon but will they exchange them or not?

That's actually one of the really nice things about the UPB switches. You can put in one switch and configure it for dimmer or on/off. The only time you need a relay is for a higher current load like controlling an outlet or something. So if you had the regular switch in and had it set to on/off it would work fine for the flourescents but then if you ever change the bulb or fixture to something dimmable, you simple reprogram the switch and now have dimming ability.

SmartHome has always been really good about switching out devices due to firmware bugs once the bug is fixed, I'm sure they will swap them.

I'm kind of surprised people aren't getting upset about the UPB delay issue being addressed with a firmware update, I doubt those switches will get swapped.

SmartHome has always been really good about switching out devices due to firmware bugs once the bug is fixed, I'm sure they will swap them.

I'm kind of surprised people aren't getting upset about the UPB delay issue being addressed with a firmware update, I doubt those switches will get swapped.
It depends how you look at it. In my mind it is more of an enhancement or improvement, not really a bug fix. I could be very happy with UPB without the new firmware and would not care for them to be swapped out. I believe it is much more important for the people that have not gone with UPB yet because the delay bothered them.

without trying to sound like MS, the UPB delay is not a bug, it's by design.

Must be a favorite feature of the developer to keep it in the face of so much bad feedback. PCS would have probably ditched the multi-tap and gone to a separate program button a long time ago if it wasn't somebodies pet design or something.

Back