3Com Audrey's? What's a good replacement?

Stinger

I have three 3com Audrey's, of which I'm still using one. I like their functionality with Homeseer, but their instability has been a pain. The main purpose I use them for is for slideshows (homeseer plugin for audrey) and also controlling my whole-house MP3s via a web interface (shows now playing and allows control).

There haven't been any updates to the main images in about 2 years, and I found that Huggy (hopefully you read this) had created a Home Automation image that he discussed on the Homeseer board. He said the image was hosted here, but I can't find it.

Any recommendations for stable images? If you've replaced your Audrey, what did you go with? I'm looking at some other touchscreen units that have faster processors, are more stable, and allow java and other applets so I can view cameras from them, but I haven't decided what to go with.

I've picked a Xenarc for my home theater chair interface with Main lobby, but I'd like a drop down unit for under the kitchen cabinets, or such.

Thanks

Which Xenarc unit did you go with? What are you using as the "backend"? Is the Xenarc screen quality good?

I went with Fujitsu 3400 that run Wink2K @ 400MHZ and 192Megs of RAM. Its a nice little unit that has 800X600 passive touch screen.

Can be had on Ebay.

John

Yep, just read your post, stinger. The images that were here may have been lost in one of the infamous server crashes, but I have them somewhere. When I find them, I'll put the on a web site where you can get them and post the URL here. However, they haven't changed in a long time.

The thing I've found that makes Audrey more stable is reducing memory use, and therefore memory fragmentation. There is a utility on the audrey that is supposed to help do this, but some images remove this from the startup. I'm sorry, but at the moment all my Audries are still in boxes somewhere, and I don't remember the name of this utility. It's been a while!

That said, maybe the best thing you can do is reboot them nightly, or even more often. Images for slideshows and playing MP3's were the two most memory-intensive apps that would give Audrey a hard time. Also, some websites would crash her, of course. There isn't a lot of space on Audrey for buffering or cacheing all those images/MP3s/etc.

Did you check the previous thread? It has the links to the 2 images hosted on CocoonTech.com.

I have several Audreys that I've been using for years. They are running images very close to stock - in fact, the image is the original hacked image that allowed all the further development to continue.

I only load a few applications (like PhJuke) on top of that image and link to network directories.

My Audreys do not need to be rebooted every night. In fact, any glitches that might occur are many months apart. Of course, these days I primarily use them only to connect to web pages that I'm serving (controlling the home, getting information, etc.). Occasionally, they go to outside sites like the National Weather Service.

If you can live without the extra stuff, a basic Audrey is very stable.

I have a basic Audrey, and applied only a few hacks (remote control of the stylus LED), and it is extremely stable. It only reboots when we lose power here, but I also don't use mine as much anymore, usually just for browsing.

Since I enabled WEP on my WiFi, I can't figure out how to put the WEP key in my wireless Audrey?

Any ideas anyone. The Audrey is just collecting dust right now.

Thanks all! I appreciate the quick response and pointers to the images. I've downloaded them and plan to refresh my memory on getting them reimaged.

Ive got to figure out the customizations that I've done so far and document them so I don't lose em!

JohnBullard said:
Since I enabled WEP on my WiFi, I can't figure out how to put the WEP key in my wireless Audrey?

Any ideas anyone. The Audrey is just collecting dust right now.
does this mean you're connecting your audrey's ethernet adapter to a wireless bridge? if so, isn't there a way to configure the wireless bridge through it's own web interface? (i don't have a wireless bridge so i have no idea, just offering a suggestion)

Damage,

My Audrey came equipped with an attached (to the rear) Mitsumi WiFi module that plugs into the Ethernet port. It is about the size of a "USB WiFi adapter" that you would use with a desktop PC.

I just don't know enough about the QNX OS to find where to enable the WEP.

I believe that Audrey only supports 40bit WEP, which is pretty much useless. I assume that WiFi module is some sort of bridge? Do you have any model #? If it is a bridge, then you shouldn't even have to touch the OS. If it isn't a bridge, I would recommend getting one.

JohnBullard said:
Damage,

My Audrey came equipped with an attached (to the rear) Mitsumi WiFi module that plugs into the Ethernet port. It is about the size of a "USB WiFi adapter" that you would use with a desktop PC.
John,

Audreys don't have ethernet ports. You have to use a supported ethernet adapter, and then use an ethernet-to-wifi bridge. Like damage said, they are often configured with their own web interface.

You may want to ask on audreyhacking.com or one of the other Audrey forums. I know there are bridges that are known to work.

Back