AAG Wind Instrument

kollinsb

I purchased the AAG wind instrument and have never been able to get the direction reading to work at all. Here are the things I tried with no luck (in no particular order): 1) Used a known working cable that is used for the barometer I purchased from Hobbyboards.com. 2) Measured the resistance between the 2 "jumpered" pins. I get a tone. (short) 3) Checked my code several times. Looks good. 4) I've tried long cables (longer than 20 feet) and shorter cables (about 2 feet) 5) Added a 100 ohm resistor on the line per the suggestion of another, very helpful forum.

The exact message I get is:

Outside Temperature = 38.9125 degs F
Error Reading Wind Direction: com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: Invalid CRC16 read from device
Wind Speed = 18.14403753 MPH from the ERR

Again, the directional reading has never worked but everything else seems to work fine.

I'm ready to get everything permanently installed but need this working first. Any ideas?

Thank you!

What software are you using to read the Wind Instrument?

Eric

I purchased the AAG wind instrument and have never been able to get the direction reading to work at all. Here are the things I tried with no luck (in no particular order): 1) Used a known working cable that is used for the barometer I purchased from Hobbyboards.com. 2) Measured the resistance between the 2 "jumpered" pins. I get a tone. (short) 3) Checked my code several times. Looks good. 4) I've tried long cables (longer than 20 feet) and shorter cables (about 2 feet) 5) Added a 100 ohm resistor on the line per the suggestion of another, very helpful forum.

Error Reading Wind Direction: com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: Invalid CRC16 read from device

Again, the directional reading has never worked but everything else seems to work fine.

I'm ready to get everything permanently installed but need this working first. Any ideas?

Thank you!

I am using Java and code from the "Weathertoys" book.

Eric

Thank you!

Sounds like you may have a bad board. Contact [email protected] and we will get you straightened out.

Eric

Eric

Thank you!

I just e-mail the address. Thanks for your help!

Sounds like you may have a bad board. Contact [email protected] and we will get you straightened out.

Eric

Eric

Thank you!

I, also , purchased an AAG wind Instrument, version 3. I have had nothing but trouble from it since I received it. When I finally managed to get the USB interface working, the wind instrument worked, although generally only on a short cable. I have fought it for weeks with various caables and distances. I finally got it working at 150 feet of CAT5 for a few minutes. I left it out on the tower for awhile (2 days) while I tried to find more info.

Now all I get, even with the short curly cord, is a one wire short. I disassembled it and found green corrosion under the RJ sockets. This indicates to me that the PCB may not have been adequately varnished.

My real problem is I did not buy it from Hobby Boards (I was unaware of your existence at the time I bought it and I really regret it). I have been unable to get any help from the source I bought it from (from outside of the country, although not far south).

My guess is the only action I can take is to attempt to desolder the sockets and clean it up. Any other suggestions? How do I prevent it from recurring?

Also, would a hub help with my system? I am trying to utilize a rain gauge, humidity sensor, barometric pressure sensor and the wind instrument, all 150 feet from the computer?

Thanks, in advance.

Once you clean up the socket use some dielectric compound. We offer it here.

If it were me I would add a Hub but you can run all of the devices you mention 150 feet from the computer without any problems.

Eric

I, also , purchased an AAG wind Instrument, version 3. I have had nothing but trouble from it since I received it. When I finally managed to get the USB interface working, the wind instrument worked, although generally only on a short cable. I have fought it for weeks with various caables and distances. I finally got it working at 150 feet of CAT5 for a few minutes. I left it out on the tower for awhile (2 days) while I tried to find more info.

Now all I get, even with the short curly cord, is a one wire short. I disassembled it and found green corrosion under the RJ sockets. This indicates to me that the PCB may not have been adequately varnished.

My real problem is I did not buy it from Hobby Boards (I was unaware of your existence at the time I bought it and I really regret it). I have been unable to get any help from the source I bought it from (from outside of the country, although not far south).

My guess is the only action I can take is to attempt to desolder the sockets and clean it up. Any other suggestions? How do I prevent it from recurring?

Also, would a hub help with my system? I am trying to utilize a rain gauge, humidity sensor, barometric pressure sensor and the wind instrument, all 150 feet from the computer?

Thanks, in advance.

Once you clean up the socket use some dielectric compound. We offer it here.

If it were me I would add a Hub but you can run all of the devices you mention 150 feet from the computer without any problems.

Eric
Thanks. I will try it. I would prefer to run without a hub if I can.

I am using the USB interface. It seems that it has been rather troublesome. Is it normally and if so, should I switch to the older serial interface?

I am using the USB interface. It seems that it has been rather troublesome. Is it normally and if so, should I switch to the older serial interface?

Some people have problems with the USB Adaptor but I have never had problems when I have used them. But the Serial does seem to have less problems overall. The main problem with the Serial Adaptor is that most new computers don't have a serial port and the Serial Adaptor doesn't like USB<->Serial converters.

Eric

Back