ABC News Video Clip with INSTEON

SmartLabsMike

I thought I would share another video clip with the cocooner community. :( It might not be as exciting as the Halloween demo from a few weeks back but still worth a look.

This clip aired on ABC news last week. It shows INSTEON technology in Ken Fairbanks home - Ken is the VP of Business Development and Sales for SmartLabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwwy5Yct58

Happy Monday!

Umm, that appears to be a local station, not "ABC news" :(

And, if I am not mistaken, Ken is demonstrating non shipping products like the Insteon shade control and Insteon smoke alarm?

Automate a home for $200 - $500 per home? I wonder what they were smoking for that one? You'd be lucky to automate a dog house for $200. :(

That's a great clip...

Whats up with the blinking keypadlinc button? Is that a new feature we can expect to see?

When is blind control expected?

One funny this is they were talking about Insteon being wireless and not needing an electrician while they were holding switches with wires coming out of them :(

Eric

Yeah whats up with that keypadlinc blink while executing macro/group command function? That would be nice.

Automate a home for $200 - $500 per home? Well thats easy... with Kens discount.

Well, anything that educates the masses on HA is a good thing in my opinion, even if it's setting expectations for the wrong $$ amount.

Educate folks on what they can get for $500, once they're hooked then show them what they can get for $5000.

It's the Great American Upsell tactic, one that has served me well throughout the years :D

ericvic said:
One funny this is they were talking about Insteon being wireless and not needing an electrician while they were holding switches with wires coming out of them :D

Eric
Wow, now THAT was freakin funny!

Also, who told them where to mount the smoke detector? Aren't you not supposed to have it in a corner like that?

ericvic said:
One funny this is they were talking about Insteon being wireless and not needing an electrician while they were holding switches with wires coming out of them :D

Eric

Aren't those antenna's?!? :)

I am sure there are people in LA running out right now and mounting them in boxes wondering why they aren't working like they were on the news...

I guess if you are a reporter, you just read the script.

INSTEON is wireless, wow, where do I go to get some wireless controls?

I'm glad I do not need an electrician to install this stuff. I will just cancel payment on his check and reference this TV thing. (kidding)

I like the flashy things. Where do I go to buy those? Or is this just some more BS? (kidding again) :D Or am I?

Ken

az1324 said:
Yeah whats up with that keypadlinc blink while executing macro/group command function? That would be nice.
I noticed that too, I don't know of any way in the currently published API to do that but I'd like to know!!! In fact, right now, there isn't even a nice documented way to programatically set the lights on the KeypadLinc.

ericvic said:

Eric
Have you ever seen a news editor working. My best friend is a news editor.

The editor locks in the study with the reporter to record all the 'narrative' sound. Then the cameraman pass the tape to the editor, and the reporter tells the editor a few of the important interview scenes that he wants in the news. Then the rest of the job of the editor is to 'paint' the narrative with material from the tape. The reporter and cameraman leave, and now the fun begins. :)

I'm sure the editor couldn't avoid the temptation of matching the wired switches with the 'wireless' claim. I bet my best friend would have done it too.

And whenever they dont have enough video to 'paint' the sound they search into their video database for similar subjects. For this kind of news it doesn't matter, but they do it even for crime news, etc.

Boy, you guys are rough!

I enjoyed watching the video even though there might have been a few "issues" in it. Yeah, $500 to automate a house does seem a little on the low side :D .

AutomatedOutlet said:
Boy, you guys are rough!

I enjoyed watching the video even though there might have been a few "issues" in it. Yeah, $500 to automate a house does seem a little on the low side :D .
Even at AO prices! :)

Back