AC Current detection

kd5crs

I am in the unenviable position of having two HDTVs without either discreet on/off IR codes or serial control. That makes it pretty difficult to set up macros that turn the TV on or off, as my HA software can never know what state the TV is in.

The solution is current detection, as I have long known. AC wiring is, however, the only thing I don't feel comfortable mucking around with, and I have yet to see a ready made current detector that I can just plug the TV into (with sense wires going to a DS10A or something).

Then I see these surge protectors:

Amazon

It has one outlet it uses to sense on/off, then 4 that are switched based on that load.

So if I put the TV into the sense socket, I should be able to put some sort of X10/INSTEON device into the switched outlet that can be used to set a variable in my HA software (Indigo). So, how to do it?

Could I take a X-10 Powerflash, and wire the two contacts together? Would that send an "On" every time power was applied to the Powerflash? So switch the TV on with IR, the surge protector turns on the Powerflash, it sends ON, Indigo sets a variable that the TV is on, that I can then check for when running macros of IR commands.

If that works, then how do I get an OFF? Can you poll a Powerflash? Lack of an answer would translate as OFF.

Let me know any ideas or suggestions you have.

Thanks.

Brian

Here's an image showing one of the CRMagnets connected to a powerflash monitoring my washing machine.

Attachments

• CRMagnet.jpg
    CRMagnet.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 73
Right, I've read all of that. Very useful and interesting, but I'm not comfortable running my TV (or dryer or ...) off of an AC cord I have cut apart and soldered back together. Perhaps that is a lack of cohones on my part, but it is the truth.

Any thoughts on whether my original idea will work?

Brian

Right, I've read all of that. Very useful and interesting, but I'm not comfortable running my TV (or dryer or ...) off of an AC cord I have cut apart and soldered back together. Perhaps that is a lack of cohones on my part, but it is the truth.

Any thoughts on whether my original idea will work?

Brian

I didn't see anything in the description of the power strip regarding devices that don't really turn off when you turn them off. Keep in mind that many appliances (probably your TV's) continue to draw some power even when they are "off". Unless the strip has the capability to recognize a reduction in power usage or power usage below a certain level (but not require "zero power usage") as "off", I don't see how that would work.

Does the TV have an on/off indicator light you can monitor with some kind of light sensor?

I didn't see anything in the description of the power strip regarding devices that don't really turn off when you turn them off. Keep in mind that many appliances (probably your TV's) continue to draw some power even when they are "off". Unless the strip has the capability to recognize a reduction in power usage or power usage below a certain level (but not require "zero power usage") as "off", I don't see how that would work.

Does the TV have an on/off indicator light you can monitor with some kind of light sensor?

No, sadly, it goes from red to blue. It is truly the worst TV for automation. (But a great one for watching TV!)

Thanks all.

Brian

Actually a great way to detect power is to use a high quality and adjustable current switch. Some come with split core designs which means you can use one of those 3 foot extension cords that you can split the wires apart without cutting into them and just wrap one of the wires (not the ground wire) around them and snap it back. The current switches I use have a built in relay which makes it a breeze to connect to many HA systems.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...ost&id=1978

Here is one similar to the ones I use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/H938-Split-Core-Adjust...id=p3286.c0.m14

Personally I would trust this method over some cheap thing built into a plastic power outlet.

Another one I use is the Mamac CT-800

http://www.partsguy.com/cgi-bin/PartsGuy/CT-800.html

I also use some GREYSTONE Current switches

Funny, that Crestron box is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind, but for $90? Wow!

PM me if your similar ones are in the $50 range.

Thanks.

Brian

You can go with something like this.

I think I may even have a couple of similar ones I could make a deal on.

Brian

Back